Chapter Eleven: "Recovery"

After nearly an hour of heartbreak, Jonathan cried himself asleep in my arms.  We were still in the middle of the floor.  My heart was aching for him.  He was really close with his mother, as was Jojo. 

I was massaging his scalp and that was perhaps what put him to sleep on my shoulder.  My legs were severely cramped from staying in that one spot with such a heavy man on me.  I carefully positioned Jon's body in my arms so that I could carry him to the bedroom.  With a grunt, I hoisted him up and started to carry him bridal style.  When we reached the room, I lowered him gently onto the bed and pulled the blankets over him.

He looked so innocent sleeping there.  It almost put a smile on my face.  Almost.

I walked out of the room as discreetly as I could and I crept out into the kitchen.  I picked up the phone.  I didn't want to do this, but I had to.  I had to call Jojo.

I put it up to my ear and I heard the ringing stop after a couple seconds.  "Jon?" A sniffling voice questioned from the other end.

I swallowed.  "Jojo.  It's Evan."

"Oh... Hey Evan.  How's Johnny doing?  He wasn't okay when I talked to him."

I could hear her holding back tears.  "He's going to be okay.  The place is a wreck but he's going to be just fine, Jojo.  Don't worry, I'm going to take care of him.  He just fell asleep.  I called to check on you.  I'm really sorry to hear about your mother.  She was an amazing woman."

She broke out into tears as I finished my last sentence.  "She didn't deserve this.  She deserved to die an old lady with grandkids and great grandkids."  She took a few deep breaths.  "I was supposed to meet her for lunch today, y'know?  I was waiting for her for an hour and half before they finally called Jon and I to tell us she had already passed away.  It's not fair.  We should've gotten to say goodbye."

"I can't imagine what you're going through," I replied.  "If there's anything you ever need, don't hesitate to call or stop by.  Sometimes the comfort of family and friends can make a huge impact."

"Thank you, Evan.  Please take care of Jonathan for me.  He doesn't handle these situations well.  Don't be discouraged if he pushes you away.  It's going to get rough."

"Stop.  Focus on yourself, Jojo.  I'm going to take care of him.  I'm not letting him go."

There's a pause on the other line, and then she continued.  "Everything's going to be okay.  Thank you so much for calling me."

The small shred of hope in her voice lightened my spirits.  "Stay strong.  I'll talk to you soon."

I hung up and then snuck back into the bedroom.  I climbed into bed next to Jonathan and he turned his head to face me.  His eyes were bloodshot, but the baby blue shone past it.  I reached out to him and pulled him into my chest.

We switched rolls.  He now rested on my chest with his right arm latched onto my waist; except this was not a good feeling.  Instead of being filled with happiness in each other's arms, we lay there overwhelmed with sadness. 

"I need to talk to Jojo.  I was so angry earlier that I took it out on her on the phone," Jonathan whispered with his voice cracking.

"I called her when you were sleeping, Jon.  She's really worried about you, but she's going to be alright."

His arm squeezed me a little tighter and he nuzzled his head into my shoulder.  "I love you Evan.  Thank you."  Tears escaped his eyes once again.

After a few minutes, his grip loosened and I could feel him drifting off once again.  I slowly moved his arm away from my body and began to creep out of bed.  Just before I fully stood up, Jonathan's hand quickly grabbed mine.  I turned around to face him.