The Shadows

Delaney saw it coming, the muscles on his face relaxing, moving closer to hers. Her sholders tensed, as one of his hands moved up to her neck.

She could smell his minty breath giving small gusts, and his electric blue eyes almost level with hers.

She could have everything, this life, including Carter. Strong, positive, happy Carter.

Carter never had any trouble getting the girl, but he wasn't the player type. He'd dated simple girls in his past, student council, theatre, tennis player.
Yet Delaney was the one who was about to be kissed.
Still, soon he would realize,
Delaney wasn't worth it.

She made her decision.
As Carter got closer, she struggled in his arms intill she could yank herself away.

Carter stood still with his hands alert, not sure if to back away or to approach.
Delaney had become frozen.

Carter's lips start to part as his brow wrinkles itself. He lowers his face shamefully from view.

"What did I-"

"Take me back!"

Delaney yells, causing Carter to flinch.

He wipes the sweat from his brow. Delaney continues,

"Take me back to the bridge."

She felt her lip start to quiver.

Carter hesitated and started to fidget, running his fingers through his hair and pockets.
His vioce displays itslef high amd distressed.

"But, I can't -not after all this- i just cant-"

"You have to, we made a deal."

Delaney spoke harshly as she felt a hot tear run down her cheek.

"I can't because i know you don't mean it."

He extends his arms to her, delaney notices all thw details of him especially his irritated and liquid filling eyes.
Carter had almost cried plenty of times this night, but none of them were for her.

"Don't touch me! Just take me back."

She heads towards the chain link fence. Her shoes wouldn't fit into the holes, just as before. Reluctantly she turned to Carter.

"Can you help me up?" She said in a soft voice.

"Just so you can jump off?"
Carter said coldly.
It made Delaney want to shrink, but she deserved it.
Still, Carter sighed and hoisted her up.

Delaney sat at the top, then pushed off of her weight. She fell as the liquid in her stomach flew to the back of her belly.
This fall was different then entering,
Before it was filled with exhilaration, now it was landing to a demise.

Carter landed next to her, he got up first and extended his hand to Delaney.

She rejected it.

Delaney didn't want Carter's help getting back on her feet.