My Heart Never Stops Beating for You

Katy's POV

Once we drove away, I knew I was in for one of the worst situations of my life. But it wasn't just some small problem, I had to stay away from him for a whole fucking week. My parents did not approve of John but you know, tough shit. They should just realize that I actually love this man and he's nothing like Russell.

I don't know how to tell them that maybe one day I'm going to actually commit to this man and our relationship isn't some joke like they think it is. And I'm not some teenager anymore. I'm a grown adult that can make my own decisions and don't need their help towards anything.

"Katheryn?" My mother asks from the front seat, my father keeping his small but bold eyes on the road.

"Yeah?" I reply disappointedly while looking out the extremely tinted windows of my mothers car. It seems just like yesterday the whole family was taking quote on quote "road trips". But really my parents were traveling and little did we all know that that place was going to be our new home.

"Are you okay back there? Do you need us to stop anywhere on the way home?" Yeah, drop me off at John's house, will yah?, was all I wanted to say, but they'd look at me in such disbelief. They don't even think we're really that serious, but we obviously are and I'm even thinking of bringing him over for thanksgiving next week. The whole family was going to be there and it was a good chance for all of them to truly meet him and see what he was like. Angela would be disappointed, but sometimes I feel like John hasn't even shown who he really is yet, and that's one of the most important things when you meet my whole family.

"No, Mom. I'm fine." I reply with a tone, most likely one that my mother wouldn't like. I felt like a child.

"Ok, alright. Keith let's stop at a pharmacy. There's one just around the corner. Her ankle is probably killing her." She panics, my father shrugging and nodding.

"Mom I said I didn't need anything!" I shout, rolling my eyes and running my fingers through my straight black locks. She was treating me like I was a fucking child. One of the reasons I left at 17 was to get away from my parents. So I certainly didn't need them bossing me around. I was 28 for Christ's sake.

She was silent the whole way home, sighing and pretending like nothing was bothering her. I did feel bad, but I wasn't about to have her boss me around this whole week. It didn't work like that.

My dad had driven into their large, Santa Barbara home driveway, smiling sympathetically back at me and pulling his ring full of keys out of the cars ignition. My father always knew I didn't see eye to eye with my mother, that's why he always let things slide when I did "sinful" things or disobeyed them. He knew my mother was always strict... maybe even too strict with me. Not David, not Angela, but it was like she saw something in me and she didn't want me to fuck it up. Little did I know that was singing, and I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have her. I couldn't thank her enough for what she's done for me.

My mother had gone inside, obviously pretending like she wasn't made like normal. I rolled my eyes, laughing to myself as I struggled to get out of the car. "Need help?" My father asked softly, looking down at me with an encouraging smile on his face. I always hoped that one day, when I choose to have children, he or she will have the a similar relationship with each other as I did with my father. There's nothing more special than having absolute unconditional love for each other. It wasn't like I didn't have that with my mother, but everything was just different with my father. He knew me in the most understanding way possible.

"Yeah." I whisper up at him, handing him my crutches and pulling myself up and out of the car. He wraps one of his arms protectively around my waist, making sure I don't fall like I normally would with my klutzy self.