Chapter 17

Chapter 17

emma montoya

She is short and has a pixie cut, but deep gray eyes and pale lips. Age had come poorly upon this woman, for her hair was clearly dyed a muddy brown and the skin around her elbows sagged, but yet I can't work out if she's more than fifty.

I search her eyes for answers, but she doesn't flinch. "My name is Stella." Immediately my mind runs to the thought that is Stella Inconcinnus, but it couldn't be. She's been dead for 600 years.

"Thanks for all the help today," I remember.

She raises and eyebrow and opens her mouth to say something. She closes it quickly and says, "Um... no problem."

Quickly I shuffle out of the room.

xxx

I run into Justin while finding my way to the first floor. He's sweating heavily.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I--," he stutters. "I was looking for you. One second I was watching you, the next I was outside."

A deep ache in my stomach whines that Stella is the cause of this, if it's even her. We need to leave tonight.

"There was a woman watching me. She said her name was Stella."

"It can't be," he exhales. "She's been dead for--"

"I know, 600 years."

We sit in silence for a few moments. He shuffles his feet and I pretend to look off into the distance. We are the only ones in the hallway and everything is silent, except for the awkward hum in the background of the air conditioning system. In this moment, I don't mind being here.

"We've been breached. It's not her," he finally says.

I nod. "Leaving tonight?"

"Yes."

I want to turn and bring him back into the obstacle course because I don't feel ready for this. But if she's there, our safety is compromised.

xxx

Everything is dark. As we slowly find the way to the main lobby, I realize Justin is more terrified than I am. His breathing is more heavy than before and his hand is cold. I take it in mine.

"Everything is going to be OK," I try and reassure, though I can't find any truth in the statement. Neither can Justin.

"I can't read my sister any more," he whispers.

I stop behind him. We are on the first floor on a hallway leading to the front door. I thought leaving tonight would be easier, but I was told leaving required us to sign out and a reason. And Ink never goes to sleep.

xxx

Hey Turtles!

A super short filler chapter with tons of dialogue. I've had so much high school work to do, I lost track of time :(

xoxo,

KATHERiNE