Chapter 20

chapter 20
emma montoya

In a hole miles deep, how does one escape?

We haven't spoken in hours, each of us lost in focus trying to find a way out. There is just a giant hole deep below the Earth. Something is down here.

I feel the rush of the wind once again. Someone is falling. I look to Justin, but he gazes only at the little dot inching closer and closer to us. I fall it's movements, flailing everywhere trying hopelessly to stop falling.

I see hair rush around her face. Brown and long. Her shirt is black and appears to be exactly like Justin's.

She falls into his arms. Justin's eyes widen. "Oh god," he whispers under his breath. "Anne."

She doesn't move. I see her chest rising and falling very slowly. Her face is a pale white.

I touch my fingers to her wrist, hanging over Justin's forearm. Cold.

"Who is she?" I whisper.

"My sister."

His sister. She was here in his presence once again and near death. Anne must have come to find her brother when she lost contact.

"We need to get her help," I say, angry.

He looks to me and then down at his sister again, his eyes transfixed on her rising chest.

"What if she's already gone?" I see him vulnerable, scared, and helpless.

I look down at her as well. It didn't help that it was freezing down here. "We have time. She's still breathing."

He sets her down and peels off his shirt to wrap it around her. "You don't mind?" he asks.

"No. Keep her warm."

We can't climb up or dig out. Both incredibly unreasonable and we don't have the needed supplies. Something must be hidden slightly behind these walls.

Imagine you are looking into a large, circular room. Anne lays against the wall to the left of you and Justin walks along the wall to the right of you. This is how my world looks.

I run my fingers along the wall. I hear Justin pacing back in forth, no doubt anxious about his sister. He grunt and groans with every step as he tries desperately to craft a plan out.

"This is useless!" he cries and punches the wall.

xxx

Hey Turtles!

Stopping here for right now because next chapter is going to be action filled.