Chapter 4

Percy’s POV

My head hurts…

I opened my eyes and it was still dark, though I doubt it was the same day. I looked around and saw a sleeping figure – no, three sleeping figure – on the floor.

  I groaned as I tried to sit up. I could barely feel my lower body but at least they’re still functioning. I examined my arms and legs. Lots of burn and a few new scars but other than that, they’re fine. New skin had started to grow back over the burn wounds, the scars had faded a bit. Someone stirred on the floor and next thing I knew, a mane of dark hair engulfed me in a hug.

   “ Please, don’t be a lunatic…,” Addy pleaded. “ Don’t lose your head, okay?”

   “ Am not going to…it’s still attached to my neck,” I said, smiling slightly. She buried her head in my chest and I could feel her hot tears. “ Relax,” I said, smoothing her hair, “ I’m okay, I’m alive…really, I’m pushing my luck.”

   “ Don’t die on me, okay?” her muffled voice came. “ Promise me!” She held out her pinkie.

   “ Oh, come on…we’re teenagers now. Pinkie swear is so out of date,” I rolled my eyes. But I intertwined my pinkie with hers nonetheless. Just to humor her.  “ Who’s the other two?”

   “ Katniss and Prim.” I raised my eyebrow. “ Prim was supposed to watch over you since she has the most medical knowledge between us three but I didn’t want to leave you…and Katniss didn’t want to leave Prim so here we are.”

   “ Addy?” came a very groggy voice from Katniss. “ Is Percy up already?”

  “ Up and about,” I replied. “ Hey, I’m really sorry for losing my head..uh..yesterday? Two days ago?”

   “ Three,” Addy muttered.

  “ Ah…um, yeah…three days ago. I didn’t know what came over me. I mean, I should be glad that she’s dead and can’t torture us emotionally and mentally and physically again. And that we’re out of that hellhole..and that-“ She held her hand up.

   “ It’s okay, Perce. Feeling guilty over something and being loyal to someone, even to someone who doesn’t deserve it, is one of your admirable traits,” Katniss said gently. “ So…I can understand why you felt guilty about her going to the gallows. No need to apologize for what happened.”

   I sighed out in relief. I had nightmares about it when I was in Slumberland. I turned to Addy, who was somewhat snickering and grinning ( I could feel it since she had her face pressed against my chest ). “ Uh…where do you think you want to stay after this?” I asked her.

   “ Oh, Mother requested that you and Addy live with us,” came Prim’s soft voice. “ She felt bad that you two don’t have any place to live.”

   “ Oh, that’s okay. I think we could find some abandoned houses or any other orphanages to live. I don’t want to be a bother to you guys because I’ve been a bother enough with my ravings and occasionally black outs and all….” my voice trailed off at Prim’s intent gaze.

   “ You two have never been a bother to us. It’s nice to have a brother for a change, you know,” she said softly. Which earned her a headlock from Katniss.

  “ Oh, you’d rather trade me for him, Little Duck?” Katniss asked in a what I assumed as menacing voice. “ Huh, Little Duck? Would you?” She tickled Prim in the belly. She giggled hysterically. Addy laughed at the two sisters’ banter. Katniss looked at me after she was done with Prim.