Chapter 9

Disclaimer: Gee….if you still haven’t figured it out, I do NOT own any of the fabulous series of the Hunger Games or Percy Jackson!

Percy’s POV

The moment the anthem ends, we are taken into custody. I don’t mean we’re handcuffed or anything, but a group of Peacekeepers marches us through the front door of the Justice Building. Maybe tributes have tried to escape in the past. I’ve never seen that happen though.

Inside the Justice Building, I’m conducted into a room and left alone. It’s pretty much the richest place I’ve ever been, with the velvet couch, chairs and deep, plush carpet. There were cracked mirrors, too, though so it kind of ruins the rich image. But the soft fabric does help me calm down. Prepare me for the next hour where we are to say our goodbyes to our loved ones. Loved one? I have no loved one. Not anymore.

The door slammed shut. I don’t even need to turn around to know who it is.

“ You shouldn’t have done that.” I exhale.

“ Peeta…,” I begin but he cut me quickly.

“ Prim nearly had a breakdown!” he said. He look too upset for me to interrupt. “ Why’d you do it? We’re not even friends..”

“ Who said?” I counter him. “ I’m not choosy on who will be my friend, Peeta.” He looks at his feet. “ Listen…can you keep an eye on Prim? I don’t think she’s going to handle this year’s Games too well.”

“ Don’t worry. I won’t let her starve. That is my promise. Even if the both of you die,” he said, an almost joking manner.

“ Not helping, Mr. Pessimist,” I told him. He grinned. I can’t help but grin back.

“ Well, good luck then,” he holds out his hand. “ I’m really glad I got to know you before you get slaughtered.”

“ I’m glad, too.” Silence. Not the awkward silence. Just the grief-stricken silence.

Peeta took a deep breath and looks at me in the eye and says, “ I guess this is goodbye?”

“ Yeah. Goodbye it is.” We shook hands again. And he’s gone. My first visitor, and friend, has said his goodbyes. I don’t think my next visitor is unexpected. Especially since she bursts into the room, with tears already streaming down.

I don’t wait. Just hold out my arms and let her jump into it. Let her soak my shirt (once more) with her tears. Stroking her blonde hair. Not saying anything all the while. Just letting it all out. I think I might’ve let a few tears fall down, too. Seeing her sobbing like crazy is enough to break anyone. And seeing the grief written all over Mrs. Everdeen’s face….it’s…it’s just too overwhelming.

“ Prim,” I take her face in my hands, “ Prim, listen to me. Don’t do anything stupid just because me and Katniss are in the Games, okay? Promise me,” I plead her. “ Promise me that you will go to school like normal, eat normally…live life normally, okay? I’m sure Katniss told you what to do and Peeta promised me that he will make sure you get food, the both of you. And….and watch the Games, okay?” She shook her head. “ Watch the Games! Please, for me. For Katniss…” She looses herself in my arms again, sobbing harder. “ I’m really sorry, Prim. I really am…”

Mrs. Everdeen loses her cool, too. She began to cry, but silently. Prying Prim gently from Percy, she looks straight into his eyes. “ Percy, I want you to know that….you have always been a son to me. Don’t you forget that.”

“ I won’t,” he whispers, looking just as upset as them. “ I never will.”

And their time is up. Prim screamed hysterically when the Peacekeepers took them away. It nearly broke my heart listening to her pitiful cries. But I couldn’t afford to be too upset. There’ll be cameras at the train station and getting my eyes puffed up and red is not a good idea. At least, if you don’t want to be the first to drop dead. I hear the door being opened and closed again.