Chapter 28

Disclaimer : My name is Bautista Jades. Neither Rick Riordan nor Suzanne Collins.

Percy’s POV

It was like in slow motion.

I could feel myself breathing heavily as I look down at the dark stain spreading from where the sword penetrated.

And slowly, I fall to the ground, face first, unable to hold myself upright any longer.

Howls fill the night. The mutt snarls, waiting for me to join them.

I feel someone pull me onto my side, calling my name.

It takes a whole lot of effort for me to focus.

  “ Percy,” I could hear someone call me. “ Stay with me, Percy. You are not going to die on me!” they say, sounding extremely fierce. “ Do you hear that? You are not going to die on me! Do you hear me?” they demand.

   “ Perfectly….clear,” I wheeze. The person’s face swims into focus, her face white under tangled black hair.

   Tears roll down her face silently, her lips pressed together so tight I thought they might disappear. “ Don’t leave me,” she whispers, pushing my hair out of my face.

   “ I’m…not,” I say, shuddering slightly from the pain. “ I’m…I’m right here, aren’t I?” A small smile forms on her lips and the warm tears fall onto my face. “ Don’t….don’t cry,” I say, trying to wipe the tears away. Alas, my hands now fail me. I am completely paralyzed right now. This sucks.

   “ I’m not crying,” she sniffles, wiping the tears away. “ I just got something in my eyes. That’s all. I’m not crying at all,” she adds, blinking furiously, trying to stop the tears from falling.

   “ You’ve got many things in your eyes, then,” I say, grinning slightly. “ Those tears…aren’t stopping.” She laughs, wiping at the tears again. “ You do know the truth, right?”

“ What? That you’re going to make it out of this place and then you can resume to annoying the crap out of me?” she asks, her tone joking although the humor didn’t exactly reach her eyes. “ Yeah. I’ve accepted that a long time ago.”

“ That’s good, then. I’ve…I’ve always been annoying, huh?”

Extremely annoying,” she agrees. I smile at that, although it may look more like a grimace with all the pain I’m in right now.

“ I won’t make it.”

“ I know.”

“ Then why are you deluding yourself?”

“ It’s because I can’t bear the thought of losing you,” she whispers, tears forming yet again in her eyes.

“ Why?”

“ Because I love you, you idiot. That’s why!” she snaps, sounding annoyed with me. “ Sheesh…you’re ruining the moment.”

“ That’s…that’s what I’m good at, right?” I chuckle slightly, although it sent spasms off pain through me.  “ Why now?”

“ Because I don’t want to regret not doing it.”

“ I asked you, remember? And you said no.”

“ I said it was complicated.”

“ No, you didn’t.”

“ Yes, I did.”

“ No, you – “

“ Oh, shut up!” she says, half-laughing, half-crying. “ Let’s just enjoy the silence.“