Chapter 22

Percy’s POV

I jerk awake the next day.

So suddenly.

That it felt that I was about to topple out of the tree.

But that didn’t compare to the shock I got when I saw Katniss sleeping on my shoulder.

I bit my tongue, stopping me from shouting out loud in alarm.

How the hell did I forget that we had become allies?

This is weird, you know.

Having her this close to me.

Okay, actually having a girl this close to me.

Please wake up…

……..

…….

“ Um….Katniss?” I say softly, tapping her on the shoulder. “ Katniss…”

She jerks awake, looks at m, her eyes widens in shock and accidentally leans to her right (she slept on my right shoulder) in an attempt to get away from me and, together with me, we slid off of the branch, almost falling to the ground. Except that we were both belted in so we were kind of hanging off of the branch.

   “ What were you thinking?” I yell at her.

   “ What were you thinking?!” she yells back. “ Sleeping next to me!”

   “ We are allies!” I scream in frustration. “ You belted us in to the branch last night!”

   “ I did?” she asks, sounding surprised. “ Sorry. I forgot,” she says, struggling to find the buckle.

   “ Stop struggling,” I say, panting because when she struggles, the belt tightens around me, making it hard to breathe. “ You’re suffocating me!” She stops.

   “ How are we going to get out of this thing?” she grumbles.

   “ Well, I don’t mind hanging around like this,” I say, the muscles in my cheeks twitching. “ Get it? Hanging around?”

  “ Percy, just shut up for a minute, will you?” she says in exasperation. I snickered.

  “ Okay, okay. Let’s just hang around and wait,” I say, feeling laughter threatening to explode.

  “ You be grateful I can’t reach my knife or I would have already gutted you like a fish!” she mutters. “ Oh, this sucks,” she grumbles.

   “ Wait, I think I can reach my knife. Um…do you want to use this belt again after this?” I ask her as I wiggle my knife out from its sheath. “ Because I am going to slice right through it.”

   “ Oh, must you?” she groans. “ Fine. Do what you must do.”

   “ Okay. Going to be free in five…four…three…two…”

THUMP!

   “ Damn…my leg,” I groan, rolling on to my back. “ I think it’s broken.”

   “ Let me see,” Katniss says, scrambling to her feet. She rolled my trousers up and inspected my injured leg. “ Oh,” is all she said. “ Oh dear.”

  “ It’s broken, huh?” I ask. “ Ow! Watch it!” I say when pain flares up from the leg up my body when she touches it.

  “ Yeah,” she said, “ sorry to break it to you,” she added, smirking a bit.