Chapter 31

Disclaimer : Honestly, if you still can’t figure it, you’d better go and see a doctor. Or better yet, go and read the books.

Katniss’ POV

The sun is out, its rays glowing softly

The skies are as blue as ever with white puffs of cloud rolling lazily across it.

The wind is blowing ever so gently, cooling us all after the heated Games ended.

And this is so not the right day for it to be so beautiful.

Gale is standing next to me, his hands clenching and unclenching. I’m not sure why. My mother is holding Prim tightly to herself, the both of them sobbing as the Peacekeepers lowers the coffin next to the open hole. The man who usually conducts weddings is standing at the head of the hole, looking somber in his grey mining clothes.

                “ Are you waiting for more people?” he asks Gale. I blink hard, trying to force the tears to stay within the compounds of my eyes. Percy was a great friend. He should have more people attending his funeral. 

                “ N – “

                “ Wait! Wait!” a familiar voice cries out. “ Don’t start yet!”

                There’s some hurried footsteps and Peeta and Madge appears, the both of them panting. “ Sorry we’re late,” Peeta wheezes out. “ We didn’t know when and where the ceremony is going to be held.” And something inside me…sort of snapped.

                “ Why are you here?” I growl at him. “ What are you doing here?”

                “ To pay my respects to Percy,” he says calmly. “ Please let go of me.” I blink and then do I notice that I am holding him by the collar of his shirt. “ Look. I – “

                “ Shut. Up,” I hiss at him. “ Just shut the effing up!” My voice rises. “ Do you know why he’s in that box?” I ask him, my tone immediately went to snake-ish hissing again. “ Do. You. Know?”

                “ He died in the Games,” Peeta says nonchalantly. “ Oh.” He suddenly pales, as he realize what I am implying.

                “ Oh? That’s all you can say? Oh?  Oh?” To be honest, I think I’ve gone of my rockers at this point. “ Oh? No I regret for not having the balls to actually go to the Games instead of Percy? Oh?”

                “ Katniss,” Gale says quietly, gripping my arm. “ Katniss. Don’t.”

                And that is where I actually snap (refer to above : sort of snapped).  “ He literally took a knife for you!” I scream at him. “ It should have been you in that box! You killed him!

                He cringes away from me. “ I’m sorry I didn’t have the guts to stop him from volunteering. I really am,” he says calmly, albeit the alarmed look in his eyes. “ I really am. But I did not kill him. It wasn’t me sticking the sword in him.”

                “ Katniss,” Madge says, edging towards me slowly. “ No one here is psychic. We couldn’t have possibly known he wouldn’t  survive. Everyone had high bets on him getting out of there alive on account of how brave, though foolish at times (I nearly strangled her) he is. Was,” she corrects herself.