Nashi Chapter 16

*3rd POV*

An awkward silence falls on the motley group of ninja as they walk down the bustling streets of Konoha. Their strange attire and dark aura attracts many of the civillian’s attention.

Nashi and Gaara walk with expressionless faces, although no one could see the former’s anyways. Temari and Kankuro glance at their little brother nervously, afraid that he may lash out uncontrollably without warning.

“So...” Kankuro begins hesitantly, crossing his arms behind his head. His dark eyes glance at Nashi’s strange attire, noting the dragon mask. “Are you an ANBU, perhaps?”

“No.” comes a short reply, straight to the point.

“... I see...” The conversation is cut short as Nashi makes no move to elongate. Kankuro shivers at the intense atmosphere. He notices Gaara piercing Nashi with an intense stare. Nashi makes no indication of feeling it, which Kankuro admires.

“Where is your team leader? All teams must be accompanied by one in order to participate.” Nashi informs them dully.

“Ah, he went ahead. He’s probably already at the Hokage’s office.” Kankuro replies thoughtfully.

“... How do you know so much about the Exams?” Temari inquires. “Are you proctoring? I mean you look pretty young...” As if she could tell. The damn mask and cloak completely conceals the Leaf nin’s identity, it hid everything except for the incredibly short stature. Hell, the person could be a freakin old lady as far as the Temari could tell.

“I am participating as well.” This perks the redhead’s interest. His seafoam eyes flash slightly before dulling once again.

“Eh?! Really?” Kankuro eyes Nashi warily. “Why are you escorting then? Shouldn’t you be training?”

“I am trusted by the Hokage to complete my duty.” the cloaked child replies robotically, as if reading from text.

“... What’s your name?” Gaara inquires, speaking up for the first time. Kankuro and Temari reflexively cringe. Nashi observes their reaction with slight interest.

“I’m sure you heard that annoying blonde say it.” the Leaf nin replies blandly. Kankuro winces, opening his mouth to warn the little kid to not mess with Gaara. It wouldn’t end up too pretty. “Umi Nashi.”

“Nothing? What a... nice name.” Temari compliments awkwardly. She notices Gaara glaring intensely in Nashi’s dragon eyes. The intense aura between the two intensify, leaving the two siblings gasping for breath.

“We have arrived. Please enjoy your stay.” Nashi forces out politely, waving them towards a tall building. Before the Sand nins could get in another word, the cloaked figure disappears in a blink of an eye. No doubt off to attend to other groups arriving.

“What a strange kid...” Kankuro remarks, scratching his head. Gaara stares impassively at the now empty spot before leading his team inside.

~*~

“Begin preparations for the Chunin Exams,” the Hokage dismisses the group of jonin in front of his desk. They had just finished discussing the prospects of entering all the rookie genin in the Exams. The jonin present bow respectfully before disappearing, leaving Kakashi and Iruka behind per request.

“Iruka, you will be in charge of testing all ten graduates,” the Hokage states, puffing a cloud of smoke. Iruka nods hesitantly. “You will judge whether they pass or fail... I hope this calms your nerves.”

“Yes, Hokage-sama,” Iruka bows his head before leaving, shooting Kakashi a reproachful look. Kakashi nods in return.

“Kakashi,” the Hokage starts. “I wish to talk to you about Nashi-san...” His student’s name catches the silverette’s attention.