Question and Recognition

Kaylees breath was uncharacteristically heavy as she stared at the grass, on her hands and knees. Her knives were pressed into the dirt, sweat was dripping from her forehead, and her opponent was pretending to be checking his nails.

“Come on, sweetheart” the boy said. Kaylee looked up at him with hatred in her eyes.

“I heard you were good,” he teased. “Guess Im just great.” His white smile was infuriating as all of his teeth glittered in the sunlight, his blonde hair lightly brushing across his forehead. Kaylee was up again in an instant, her knives held firmly in her hands as she took her stance…again. There was no way she should be losing, but this boy new too many tricks. She was used to street fighting with monsters, not this patterned out strategy. The boys sword was like an oversized needle with a hilt, the point sharp and slender. Kaylee had pokes running down her arms and across her stomach that beaded in blood. It was like this blonde was playing with her, she hadn’t bothered to remember his name after he first pricked her.

“Come get me, princess” the boy held a hand out and motioned her forward with his fingers. Markus was nearby watching with crossed arms and a furrowed brow.

Kaylee launched herself at the boy, one blade held high, the other down low. Both strikes were parried effortlessly when the boys hand caught her, hugging Kaylee into his side.

“You’re very beautiful” he whispered into her ear as she struggled. “A pity youre not as skilled as you are pretty.”

Kaylee broke free and tried again, each strike hitting nothing but the needle blade. At least the boy looked like he was concentrating, his mouth was always turned down when he wasn’t mocking her; his forehead crinkled in determination.

“Your fast” he said, “Use that speed to think. Determine your moves instead of make them.”

Kaylee lunged again but this time she calmed her instincts, allowing her tired mind to observe.

Weaknesses: he held one hand behind his back…weird. Used for balance, but when she pressed him hard, he pulled it out in the open. He kept his face high and away from her blows, his sword always making contact at least a foot away from his body. She had shorter weapons. She had to get on the inside.

Twisting, she faked right, sliding under his blade. Her knees burned against the grass but she was in. Quickly rising she hit his sword hand away and raised her second knife to his throat, carful not to touch his skin.

“Good” the boy said quietly, going cross eyed as he looked at her close up. “thirty nine to one. We’ll continue again tomorrow.”

With that he stepped away from her and walked out of the clearing. Kaylee watched, stunned as he just leisurely glided away from her. How had he done that?

“Don’t be bothered by Justice” Markus said. “He’s one of the most egotistical guys I know.”

He grabbed one of her arms firmly and observed the pricks before she could pull her arm away.

“You should be fine” Markus said. Kaylee nodded curtly with a stubborn curve in her lips. One side of Markus’ lips rose in an amused smile. “of course you will.”

“Wrench!!” It was Lucas at the edge of the clearing, Anaru was on his shoulder and the entire Hephaestus group was behind him. Kaylee ran over to them and hugged Lucas before smiling at the rest of them.

“We have something for you” one of the girls said, barely containing her excitement.

“We all worked on it” the girl who had previously scoffed at Kaylee said. Suspicion caused Kaylees smile to waver but when the girl smiled kindly, her fears were lessened.