Book 2 - Dealing with a Psychopath

“Annabeth” Markus demanded, ignoring the glare that Kaylee threw at him when he entered the room. “You can’t do this.”

The girls were strapping on weapons, their bags already packed with clothes and other necessary supplies. Annabeth shot Kaylee a sideways glance, biting her lip and waving him over.

“I know, I realize that now” she breathed, her eyes glued to the alienated girl. “But she’s adamant.”

“What happened to her?” Markus asked.

“I don’t know” she said, looking over her shoulder. “I don’t know how to stop it.”

“You realize I can hear you” Kaylee said, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

“Where have you been?” Markus demanded. “You’ve been missing for months.”

“I don’t see how that’s any of your business” she spat.

“As camp leader I demand to know where you’ve been” Annabeth said, standing next to Markus. Kaylee’s eyes passed between the two of them, a sneer forming on her face.

“I’m not part of your camp” she said. “You don’t demand anything of me. I’m the chosen!”

“Chosen?” Markus demanded. “What kind of crap is that?”

“They chose me” Kaylee said, her voice slowly fading back into the monotone she’d been restricted to before.

“Who?” Annabeth asked, her in-born curiosity kicking in. “Where have you been?”

“I don’t have to sit here and take this” Kaylee muttered, grabbing her own bag and heading towards the door. Markus caught her arm and this time she didn’t refrain from grabbing her knife. Enras was placed at his throat, the blade a millimeter from his skin.

“You want your mother to come back?” she hissed, her eyes flashing. “Because this time it’s going to take more than her to stop me from killing you.”

Fear gripped Markus’ heart because he knew she wasn’t lying, she really would kill him if he continued on the path he was on. What had turned the girl he loved in a psychopath that could kill without remorse? He let her pass by, watching as she sauntered through the camp towards the exit.

“We can’t leave her alone” Annabeth sighed, standing next to him in the doorway. “I want you to go with her.”

“She just tried to rip my throat out” Markus said. “I don’t think she’ll be too enthusiastic about having me as a babysitter.”

“There’s no way to follow her without her realizing it” Annabeth turned him to face her. “You have to convince her that you want what she does.”

“What, you’re not coming?” he asked. “Her whole goal is to find Percy.”

“I realize now that I was wrong” she mumbled, looking down in shame. To hear the great Annabeth admit defeat was more than Markus thought he’d ever see.

“I felt like I was looking in a mirror” Annabeth said, her face flushing slightly. “The consummation was complete in her, all I could think was that I was headed that way.”

Markus was quiet watching his half-sister try to hold back her tears. He’d been consumed as well, waiting for Kaylee to come back, so consumed that he forgot about the people that he could help that were with him. Not anymore.

He took her in his arms, tucking her head beneath his chin and ignoring the wetness of tears he was feeling against his shirt.

“Shh” he hushed her, “it’s okay. I’ll go and we’ll find Percy. I promise.”