Book 2 - Give it a Chance

She looked exactly the same as she had when Kaylee was a child, her dark hair rolling down her bare back in loose curls. She wore a glossy silver gown that glided across her skin like waves on the sand. Her hands were delicate and pale, her skin almost see-through from the lack of sun exposure.

“Darling!!” she cried, rushing forward to embrace the filthy girl. “How are you? Im so happy you’re alive! I came to see you last month but you were rather…how shall I say…uncomfortable.”

“Dad had me at some camp just waiting for something” Kaylee complained, peeling off her outer layer.

“You know how your father is” Leukothea said, smiling at her child. “He likes puzzles.”

“He likes making me work” Kaylee mumbled, tossing her knives onto the back of one of the fancy chairs.

“Hmm” Leukothea hummed, looking at her daughter with her bright blue eyes, a hint of a smile on her lips. “So tell me about him.”

“Who?” Kaylee asked, her brow furrowing. “Dad? I think you know him better than I do, mom.”

“Not him” she waved. “This boy you like.”

Kaylee stiffened, her hands stiff on her twisted shirt that she was wringing out on the white floor.

“Really, darling” Leukothea said, waving her hand so the mess disappeared. “Wait till later to wash. This is my main entry.”

“I didn’t come here to talk about boys” Kaylee said, wiping her red face. “I came here to ask about my brother.”

It was the mothers turn to turn red. “Oh, that half-sibling of yours?”

“You don’t like him?” Kaylees eyebrow rising questioningly.

“Its not him” she said, looking down. “Your father is very dear to me…”

Kaylee groaned, making a gagging face. “Im sorry mom, I know its hard, but I really just don’t want to hear it. Can you tell me where he is?”

“Perseus is lost” Leukothea said, her face brightening up like she had finally been helpful. Kaylee gave her a skeptical look.

“Okay, mom, I know you don’t like him, but I could use a little more help.”

“That’s all I can give you, darling” she said, shaking her head. “He is lost. Gone. Disappeared. No one can find him.”

“What do you mean?” Kaylee asked. “That’s impossible.”

“Oh no, darling” Leukothea sighed. “The gods like to play with their food. Trust me, he’s part of a plan. That’s why he’s missing.”

“Well then why did Skei send me here?” Kaylee asked, talking more to herself.

“Oh!” Leukothea’s eyes lightened even more and she clapped excitedly. “That wind god that looks after you? He’s adorable. Is he the man in your life? Why I absolutely adore him!”

Kaylees face reddened again and she slapped her foreahead. “No, mom.”

“Well, why not?” the nymphs hands found her waist. “You must find a man sooner or later to look after you. Someone to continue to live for.”

“I have a brother” Kaylee snapped, remembering why she was there. Leukothea’s face burned red and the air around her shivered.

“Do not mention that boy again” she hissed, her eyes flashing. “I already told you-“

“He’s my blood” Kaylee said, taking off her shirt and tossing it on the floor. “I understand your distaste, but please, he’s all I have.”