Choices

The cave smelled of its usual herbs and the bright lights made Percy blink as he pushed the curtains aside.

“Why, hello, Percy” Rachel said. She was grinding something up in a wooden bowl, Percy didn’t want to know what. A small cauldron appeared to be bubbling over a fire next to her.

“Uh…hi” Percy said. “My dad sent me.”

“I know”

He rolled his eyes. Of course she knew…

“That obsidian is a freak of nature” Rachel said. “Like that sister of yours.”

“obsidian?” Percy asked. “wait…Hey!”

“I meant no disrespect” Rachel said, looking up at him as she poured her grinded concoction into the boiling cauldron. “It’s simply true. She shouldn’t exist. The gods made her the way she is.”

“Why?” Percy asked, wondering if he could learn something. Rachel sighed.

“Im afraid I can’t tell you” she said. “I can only say that she carries a great burden.”

“Okaaay…” Percy said. “Then can you tell me about the obsidian?”

“Oh, yes! That.” Rachel said. “The obsidian has been morphed to be indestructible and living. It is only epidermal for now, but if it enters the body, it will constrict the organs and be fatal.”

“But why obsidian?” Percy asked.

“I think it’s a clue to where you have to go next” Rachel shrugged.

“Huh…” Percy said. Rachel had always been cool, but now that she was the oracle, he wished she made more sense. At least this oracle talked and wasn’t a mummy like the last one, leaving decaying flesh all over the place.

That was when Rachel bent down to take a whiff of her soup, her eyes turning a bright, unnatural green as the fumes hypnotized her.

Prophesy:

Half-bloods shall travel to the western waste,

So from their home, a disease erased.

The Shadow starved of sight alone knows the trail,

The gods will decide if they shall fail.

By the undead, the way will be shown,

against all odds, a friendship grown. 

The enemy, beware,  mother of all,

Lost from the brother, the chosen will fall.

Percy was silent as Rachel returned to normal, he steadied her as she took a moment to catch her breath.

“There were a lot of monsters and shadows and enemies in that one” Percy said quietly after a few moments of silence. Rachel shook her head.

“And a lot of family relations” she said. “Like mother and brother.”

“What’s the chosen?” Percy asked. Rachel shook her head again.

“I don’t know, Percy. I just say the prophesies.” She said sadly. “But I can say that it looks like you have a rough road ahead of you.”

“Why can’t I get a nice, easy quest for once?” Percy complained. Rachel shrugged before shooing him out of her cave into the cold night.

“Thanks for visiting Percy, but I need to think about this. The cure you need must be in the West. Good luck” she said before closing the curtains behind him.