Riled Recovery

Kaylees head hurt more than it ever had before; like someone had taken a red hot spike and shoved it in the base of her neck.

“What?” Kaylee’s throat felt like nails mixed in with sandpaper. “What happened?”

“Shh” It was Markus. There was pressure in Kaylees hand but she couldn’t squeeze back. “Its okay, babe. You’re safe.”

“Markus?” Kaylee coughed, her throat felt worse rather than better. “Are you okay?”

She heard his low chuckle and a small pressure against her forehead.

“Yeah, Kay” Markus said quietly. “You saved everyone.”

“But are YOU okay?” Kaylee repeated. There was silence.

“You still there?” Kaylee asked.

Markus sighed, “yeah, babe, Im still here. Alive and, well, waiting for you to be the same.”

“Nah” Kaylee tried to smile. “I’ll be back to normal in a jiff. Like nothing ever happened.”

“I hope so” there was another pressure in her hand. “Sleep now, Kaylee.”

“It hurts” Kaylee said.

“You died, babe.” Markus said, “That takes a lot out of anyone.”

“I should have been stronger” Kaylee said.

“Don’t you say that” Markus said. “Don’t you dare.”

“If I could have fought off all those Telkhanines, not left Percy, let annabeth just-“

“Stop it!” Markus shouted. Kaylee’s eyes were frightened open and she had to keep blinking out the light. When they finally adjusted she found Markus’ back facing her, his hands twisted into his hair.

“Whats wrong?”

“You!” Markus said, turning around to face her. His face turned to horrified when he saw her eyes opened.

“No, no, sweetheart, close your eyes” he said, coming to sit next to her again, calmed down. “You need to rest.”

“You said” Kaylee whispered, “there was something wrong with me?”

“It doesn’t matter” Markus said, brushing her bangs off her forehead. “Getting well is all that matters right now.”

“It does matter!” Kaylee said. “why do you think theres something wrong with me? Did I do something?”

“You do everything.” Markus said, his hands clenching. “And its still not good enough for you.”

“Because I could have done it better” Kaylee said.

“Nobody knows the future” Markus said.

“Rachel does” Kaylee retorted.

“Well you’re not her”

“Maybe I should be”

“No, Kaylee, that’s what you cant see” Markus said. “You are perfect, just the way you are.”

“How can you say that?” Kaylee demanded. “Im a cursed demi-god who grew up on the streets. I’ve almost died countless times, actually died once, and Im only sixteen years old.”

“That’s what defines your life,” Markus said. “It doesn’t define who you are.”

Kaylee’s voice was caught in her throat.

“It’s how you respond to those events that form your personality.” Markus leaned forward to kiss her fore head again before whispering, “what I see is a strong, smart girl who has done amazing things with cursed means. That, Kay, is amazing.”

As he pulled back, Kaylee found herself feeling heavy. How could he say such deep things about her, dig into her soul so confidently and come out with an answer that pinpointed her exactly.

“Now rest” Markus said. “Close your eyes. Rest.”

Kaylee looked at him; really looked at him. His eyes were grey but not the same as Athena’s, they had hints of green specks swimming in them. An aura of peace amongst the storm. His chestnut hair was dark but there were lighter streaks from his constant practices in the sun. Light freckles speckled his nose, and there were creases around his eyes from squinting.

“You spend too much time in target practice” Kaylee said, reaching up to touch the lines lightly with the tips of her fingers. Markus’ lips parted slightly and his eyes closed.

“Stay with me?” Kaylee asked quietly.

“Im not going anywhere” Markus said, reaching up to take her hand and hold it against his face. “Now sleep before I have Andrew come in here and force you.”

Kaylee let a small giggle bubble up, imagining the boy trying, before she closed her eyes and tried to obey.