Chapter 17

"Wow... I can't believe it" Ruth whispered, looking over at the little girl climbing on cabinets in her maybe-father's kitchen.

Liam nodded sullenly, seeming to have aged 50 years since that phone call just two hours ago, "I know... I refuse to tell the boys-"

Ruth looked started as she sat back in her chair, "Liam how could you not?"

"I just can't!" The 19 year old cried exasperatedly, his hands balling to fists as they pressed to his forehead. 

Maggie saw the tension in Liam's shoulders and she slowly walked towards him, a little hand pressed tentatively to his side. 

"Dada?" 

The voice instantly snapped Liam out of his misery and he looked down at her fondly, "Hey baby..." He scooped her up onto his lap and she seemed about 10x's more relaxed. 

She played with her Polly Pockets right on the table top, sitting comfortably on her maybe-father's lap. Ruth sighed, chewing her bottom lip while her fingers thudded against the table. 

"You're not going to tell them?" 

Liam took a deep breathe, his eyes glued to the caramel colored curls at the nape of Maggie's neck. "I can't" 

The elder female rose to her feet, sighing once more before taking her coat and walking to the door. She didn't say a word, just walked right out of his flat. 

The metaphorical hole in Liam's chest seemed to rip open when his sister just walked out on him like that. He was a sensitive guy, and something about her disappointed glare and heavy steps made his eyes water. 

Maggie gasped, looking in the direction of the door, "Aunt Rut go bye bye!" She cried, looking back at Liam as though making sure he heard the news. 

With a chuckle he brushed some of her fly-aways out of her eyes and kissed her newly exposed forehead, "Yes she did..." 

~

"So you're cancelling on me?"

Harry groaned, how many times would he have to repeat this? 

"Yes Taylor... I'm sorry but something's come up-"

"What's come up?" She snapped and Harry could just picture her pursed lips and the way her hip is jutting out to one side, her free hand resting on the opposite.

"A family issue-"

"What kind of family issue?"  She drilled.

Louis chuckled on the couch, raising an eyebrow at Harry as he watched his best mate's expression go from sorry to annoyed. 

"It's private Taylor!" Harry groaned, taking off a sock to throw at Louis' head. He dodged the offense and went back to snickering and watching football.

"Why is it private? What am I supposed to think of that Harry?!" 

At that moment the door knocked and Louis hopped up, mouth filled with popcor, he stuck his littered tongue in Harry's direction. 

The younger male rolled his eyes and shoved Louis into the door playfully, the 20-year-old making more exaggerated sounds of pain which were taken an entirely different way by the already suspicious Taylor over the phone.

"Was that moaning? Who's there? Harry Styles, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!" She squeaked. 

Yet again, Harry could perfectly picrure the way her foot stomped to the floor, her free hand balled into a fist. In the beginning it was cute, like puppy-anger. Now though Harry was just plain sick of her little episodes.