Chapter 5

"What do you need Mr. Higgins?" Jess asks politely. Paul smiles as he's mainly used to five immature boys who call him 'Paul-inator'

"Well I overheard Mr. Harvey talking about you wanting to go to school in California?" Paul asks raising an eyebrow. She nods and brushes some hair behind her ear, 

"Yes sir! Sure is expensive though" She says with a laugh. That's exactly what I wanted to hear Paul thinks and moves closer to her to whisper in her ear, 

"Well you see that baby there... It's not actually Chris'..." He then pulls her to the side to explain the situation. Her face changes as she goes further and further into shock.

"Oh my! So how can I help?!" She asks feeling the need to do something

"Well these boys aren't aquitted to watching a child. Especially a baby girl. We need a nanny, and you seem the perfect and only candidate" He says truthfully. She plays with the tips of her long hair thinking. 

"Well I'd love to but... Well I'd have to ask my mom-" She says when Paul cuts her off, 

"The end of the tour ends in California. By the time we come back from England, it'll be just the time you'll be starting up school in California. Through the summer, I'll pay you enough to make it through the first two years." He say quickly. This was a deal she couldn't refuse. 

"Well I'll have to transfer out of my school now... Why me sir?" She asks thinking. 

"Well, I see the way your with the baby. The boys wouldn't have anyone Mag doesn't like. Plus, talking with Harvey out there, you seem trustworthy enough" He shrugs. Jess smiles to herself. 

"Thanks... Alright well... How long will you be in Ontario?" She asks thinking. 

"Three days. You think that'll be long enough to get your situation in order?" He asks formaly. She nods, 

"Things have been tough for me and my mom I think she'll be more than happy to have me at a paying job" and out of the house Jess thinks. 

"What school are you looking at?" Paul asks out of pure conversation. 

"Oh UCLA, it's been my dream school! My whole family went there" She smiles. Paul smiles along with her, her spirit was contagious. 

"So you'll come with us on tour than if we haven't gotten her up for adoption by then, you'd be willing to come with us to England?" She nods feverishly. 

"Absolutly! Thank you so much Mr. Higgins!" She says smiling wide. He grins as she hugs him. He's taken back but pats her back uncomfrtably. 

Two Hours Later

Jess was let out after the concert. She pulled on her sweatshirt and pulled up the hood. She waved to Harvey and jumped on her innocent bike. After a 20 minute ride home, she walked in to her rundown aparmtent owned by just her and her mother. 

"Mom?" She calls. A low groan signifies her mothers presence. 

"Mom, can I talk to you?" Jess asks putting some coffee beans in the machine. Ms. Rox strolls out setting her cell phone down on the kitchen table. 

"What?" She asks tired. Jess smiles, trying to get one out of her mother

"Well, I met this very nice man at the theater tonight and... Well..." Jess explains the whole situation to her mother who's face changes from confuseion, unsure, and finally complete joy. 

"Well get packing! You have a job! You can go to UCLA! Get packing!" Her mom cries clapping. Jess smiles and skids to her room. Her mother retrives her cell phone and expresses the news to whoever she was talking to. Jess' dad had left when she was still in her mom's belly so one yes from one parent was all she needed. Jess couldn't stop smiling as she packed three suitcases to handle her the rest of the summer.