Reference

Hello, reader: this is a reference for the story you are reading. It isn't a real part of the story, but it provides a glossary of words and terms the characters use throughout the story that people in our age do not often use. Given the post-apocalyptic setting of this story, there are also history points and geographical places noted here. Enjoy, and if you have any questions on anything, don't hesitate to contact me.

(Also, thanks for the countless websites for lending me a hand in writing the rebel slang.)

xoxo, Bree/Poison Pen

4-1-1- n., news, most likely the latest; probably derived from the 411 number in the United States that was used for information.

48s-n., used to describe how long a rebel can last in Battery City without getting caught.

Angel food-n., a newbie in the Zones; most likely to be ghosted quickly

Battery City- n., the heart of Better Living Industries' territory; where most citizens live. Picturesque in most places. Also called Bat City

Battery Towers- n, Better Living Industries' main headquarters.

Better Living Industries- n, the tyrant, power-figures the rebels are fighting against; they believe in a world with no self-expression, color, or feelings; also called BLI, BL/ind, and Better Living.

carbons- n., the unit of money used.

Crash Queen- n, a rebel who destroys things and takes pleasure from it; can also be used to describe a male, despite the "queen".

citizen- n., a person residing in Better Living Industries' territory; they are often on the pill Better Living makes to take away all feeling.

clap- n., a fight, usually between rebels and Draculoids.

"check six"- a phrase; "watch your back"

Draculoids- n., workers of Better Living Industries; they are party-loving and are usually the ones who hunt rebels. They wear masks and all-white attire (though the whites do not necessarily match). They also use The Individual.

dusted- v., killed.

firefight- n., a fight that involves ray guns.

ghosted- v., killed.

Great Fires of 2012, The- n., The period in 2012 when deadly fires spread across the North American continent (from southern Canada to central Mexico). The fires started in California and spread rapidly. The most devastation was found near California; Los Angeles was burned to the ground. Many casualties racked up; the American government was in a low period, and it collapsed (non-literally).

Helium Wars- n., followed the Great Fires; started due to the lack of necessities, such as helium.

Individual, The- n., the ray gun used by Better Living Industries workers. It's $14,999,999, though it is always sold out.

Outside- n., the place beyond the Zones; scorching-hot, only Outsiders live there.

Outsiders- n., people who do not approve of the ways of Better Living, but are cowardly and do nothing as they are also selfish; they do not bother Better Living and Better Living does not bother them.

Pig War-n., a war in 2015; not much is known about it due to the astounding amount of casualties

Ratilian Rat- n., someone who is heavily addicted to the pill; usually a citizen.

ray gun- n., similar to a normal gun, but run on batteries and are lightweight. Most common form of weaponry in the Zones and among BLI workers

rebel- n., one who does not approve of Better Living Industries and does something about it; usually residents of the Zones. Rebels are often flamboyant in the way they dress and act; prefer color and graffiti; have aliases, often describing their personalities.

Route Guano- n., the main highway of the Zones. Also known as the Getaway Mile.

shiny- adj., awesome.

"skip the static"- a phrase meaning to get to the point; sum it up

zappers- n., slang word for ray guns

Zones- n., a series of six rings surrounding Battery City and other Better Living territories; the further out you go, the larger and hotter the Zones get. This is usually where rebels reside.

Zonehopper- n., one who doesn't stay in one Zone too long, most likely a rebel.

Zonerat- n., a resident of the Zones.