Chapter 6- Bulletproof Heart

A siren rung throughout the S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W facilities. Draculoids looked at the warning screens and typed progressively on their computers. Katsumi Miharu watched, smiling.

The Fabulous Killjoys were now in her grip. She had plans for them, too.

____________________

Even with their wounds not exactly better, the Fabulous Killjoys felt at their best when they walked into Battery City. They hadn't gotten attacked the whole way there- and it didn't seem they'd get attacked before they made their move by the looks of it.

Party Poison had only been to Battery City once or twice, and he had never really realized how bad it was there- unless it had gotten worse since he'd been there. Newspapers read things such as: "Bring Jenny Home" and "Johnny, Won't You Come Back Home?". Of course, he concluded these kids had probably seen the horror of Better Living and ran to the Zones to become a rebel. We're growing stronger, he thought.

Of course, when he picked up a newspaper, the headline read: "Wanted: The Killjoys". He dropped it, exhaling, and turned to see Fun Ghoul indulged in kicking around garbage on the street. Cyanide Murder looked around at the broken windows. It was obvious they were in a more abandoned part of town; there were zero inhabitants it seemed.

"We're on the East End," said Cyanide. "If we go that way"- she pointed down the street-"then make a left, we'll be at Better Living's headquarters."

Party looked up at the building they were standing in front of. "When did it get this bad?"

"About a month ago- or maybe it was two." She shrugged. "People are starting to rebel. It's not really a bad thing- just that BLI will be more on the lookout."

"And more devious."

___________________________

Cyanide might've lived in Battery City for years, but it was never her home. Originally she was from Arkansas, but her family had moved to Los Angeles when she was fifteen- which now was Battery City.

Seeing it again after running from it was a little heartbreaking. She noticed the East End, which had been once beautiful, was horrid. Better Living Industries probably had people evacuate the area because it was deserted.

Party Poison did not want to act now, even though it was the perfect time to. However, he's determined and when he sets his mind on something, he sticks with it. So no amount of Fun Ghoul's arguing could change a thing.

The first thing Cyanide noticed when they walked into the building that would be their camp was that it was way too familiar for her mind to make sense of it. Then memories flooded her mind as the walked up the stairs to the attic; she remembered now. "I lived here with my parents before- before they died."

With Show Pony and Dr. Death downstairs still, she only got two looks of sympathy. Party gave her a hug and said, "I'm sorry."

"Why do you say that? You didn't kill my parents."

He pulled away. "I brought you here."

She ignored that even though she knew it to be true. Still, her need to kill wasn't gone; she wanted to behead every Draculoid that came in her path. Cyanide wanted to leave a trail of exterminator bodies. Most of all, she wanted to rid of Better Living Industries once and for all.

However, if Party said staying at the camp was best for now, well, she trusted that. After all, he would never hurt her.

_________________________

Staring at the ceiling, Party Poison could Dr. Death Defying talking on his pirate radio station. Fun Ghoul was in the next room, but his snoring was audible.

His girlfriend's head lay on his chest. He looked to see if she if she was sleeping yet, but it turned out she wasn't. Her eyes were fixated at the ceiling, lost in thought. He always wondered what went on in her head.

"Aren't you tired?" he said silently.

"Yes, but I can't fall asleep. Every time I close my eyes, memories of fire or my parent's dead bodies haunt me."

"I'm-"

"Don't even say sorry. It's not your fault. It's my damn fault." She sighed. "I should've been there. I should've died with them."

"Then where would I be?"

She closed her eyes. Sleep was finally coming upon her, willing her into a deep slumber. "You would be someplace safe."

"I'm not a safe kind of person." Cyanide heard his words only faintly as she drifted of into a sea of nothing.