Trust No One

Laxus POV

"Mira, have you noticed?"

"Hmm?"

"look around us..."

It's was afternoon by the time we reached Magnolia, and the town is bustling with people as always. Usually the townsfolk would be busy carrying out their routine without giving a damn about my presence, but today is different the townsfolk are whispering and glaring at us as if we're both unwanted. Most even step away or flee when they see us approaching.

Mira strengthens her grip on my hand while looking left and right "I don't understand... why are they afraid us?"

"Beats me." I sigh, taking off my cloak and wrapping it around my waist to avoid attracting even more unwanted attention. "For now, we'd best keep a low profile until we get to the bottom of what's going on."

Mira nods, then asks, "So, now that we're in Magnolia, what's next?"

I grin while pointing my finger to the north. "See that enormous building by the end of this street?" Mira squints her eyes and later nods. "That right there is the magic council, the greatest threat ever existed for the agency. I plan on letting the council deal with the agency after disclosing its whereabouts and intel to the juries."

"So what are we waiting for? Let's go~" Mira drags me way excitedly. However, I quickly pull my hand away and frown at her with my hands resting on my hips.

"Don't be reckless! The council will arrest just about anyone who tries to enter without permission. Mira, just look around us!"

Several rune knights are stationed around the council gate, and the crowd is only getting more and more restless by the time. Mira seems to grasp the situation for she is now staring at the ground. "I'm sorry... so how do you plan on having an audience with the juries?"

I shrug my shoulder. "I'll think of something. Meanwhile—" My stomach suddenly growls really loud, and It was beyond embarrassing as Mira is laughing at me. However, I soon have the last laugh when her stomach unexpectedly growls even louder. "Come on, let's go find something to eat."

"I agree, we haven't eaten for one and a half day now. Besides, we are starting to cause a scene here..." "

I've been dragging Mira around town looking for a restaurant for quiet a while, yet every restaurant either slams their door in our faces or chases us out. Yeah, so much for keeping a low profile...

Finally, we come across a seafood restaurant willing to welcome us near the harbor ( top page picture ). "Welcome, welcome!" An old restaurant manager in suit greets us politely and shows us to our seats next to the window. Mira seats down opposite to me, and the the manager hands out two menus before taking his leave.

Mira is busy scanning and flipping the menu. A while later, she stops flipping after noticing the frown on my face. "Is something the matter?"

"Something smells fishy here..." I drink a glass of water on table as I move my eyes around the surroundings. Customers are leaving, the manager is on a phone, and a rune knight is suspiciously strolling around outside. "Mira, listen, as much as I am looking forward to having lunch with you, we'd better leave now."

"Why?" Mira ask in disappointment.

Feeling bad for her, I lean forward and gently place my hand on her forearm that is resting on the table. "Think about it. Why did this restaurant welcome us when majority clearly did not? There has to be catch."

"Oh, Laxus, I believe you're just being paranoid." Mira giggles.

"Am I now?" I cock an eyebrow at her.