A Night of Waking

Mirajane's POV

What's going on...? My body... I feel so weak, and my magic... it's slipping away from me.

As my demon form forsakes me, I slowly collapse on Laxus' body - having crashed my lips against his lips if it weren't for his half-cracked mask. Laxus on the other hand, had instinctively caught my fall by wrapping his arms around my waist, and for some unknown reason, his embrace makes me feel really comfortable.

"H-hey! What's wrong!?" the flustered man asks.

Exhaustion, pain, dizziness comes over me. Gradually, my vision of his scarred face starts to blur. " Laxus... I think I..." Then everything turns dark.

"Hey, Mira! Open your eyes!"

"..."

2 hours later...

Mira... you have to... get out of here!

No! I'm not leaving without you two!

No, I don't want to remember...

It's too late for us... and this Kingdom... but you must live on...

Please don't leave me! Mommy! Daddy!

"Hey, can you hear me!? Open your eyes!" A familiar voice reaches out to me.

I open my eyes and abruptly sit up, panting as a sweat trickles down my cheek. I feel a strong grip on my shoulder and look beside me to find Laxus staring at me and looking worried. However, I decide to ignore him and just stare at the campfire, but a part of me is actually happy that he was worried about me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Laxus lets go of my shoulder and drags himself closer. "You were shaking and talking in your sleep."

"I-I was just feeling cold..."

Laxus puts his hand on my forehead. "Oh, right. Your fever is coming back after all."

"Fever?" I tilt my head.

"Yeah," He smirks. "I was lucky that the drug effect I gave you wore off before you could kill me."

I see, so that's why I was feeling so weak all of the sudden - so weak that my magic was drained out of me. Wait, could he have... ?

"Y-you didn't do anything to me while I was asleep did you?"

Laxus gives me an annoyed look and answers, "Geez... would you stop suspecting me already?" He then takes off his black cloak and puts it on me. "There, now shut up and get some rest while I go get some water." He gets up on his feet.

"No, don't leave me!" Something came over me, and I immediately grab his hand to prevent him from leaving.

"Let go! The river is just across of here, and I'm not going anywhere." Laxus withdraws his hand away from mine and leaves in a hurry.

"..."

Yeah, maybe it's just me... I don't want to lose anyone else close to me. Even though Laxus may not like me, I in truth enjoy his company, and I'm afraid that he too, will one day be out of my reach.

I bite my lower lips and whisper, "Laxus, you idiot..."

While waiting, I lie down on the grass and cover my body with Laxus' cloak as if it's my blanket. His cloak reeks of sweat and blood, yet it's warm and comforting at the same time. Though, it's still not enough to keep me warm coz I can still feel myself shivering from the cold. That is, until another layer of black cloth is suddenly thrown on top of me.