The Destined Encounter

Mira POV

"No!!! Laxus!!!" I instinctively reach out my hand at the edge of the cliff, helplessly watching as Laxus is falling.

"Ge Hee!" The man standing next to me continues to snicker as if he was possessed by a demon. " See you in hell, Laxus!"

I clench my fist and glare at him, "Not if I can help it!" The next thing I know, I've recklessly jumped down the cliff and come after Laxus.

"You, you fool! You just dug your own grave!" His voice echoes from above the cliff, however I decide to ignore him and concentrate, not on the vast view of the forest from up here but on the dying man before me.

The air resistance is pushing stronger and stronger against my face, making it hard to yell or even open my eyes. "Laxus! Grab my hand!" As I thought, Laxus is not responding and won't open his eyes.

Damn it, we'll both die if I don't transform soon! Come on, Mira, find the strength in yourself to believe!

Suddenly, Laxus's voice resonates inside my head:

Stop running away from your past and embrace your magic!

You can fly, Mira! And nothing can ever stop you from spreading your wings!

Mira, You are special to me...

Dark wings are sprouting from behind my back, and a crack is manifesting itself around my right eye. There's an immense power building up inside of me that allows me to defy the air resistance and accelerate down the cliff.

I grab Laxus by his my cloak and pull him close to my arms. "I got you now!" My big voice finally reaches Laxus as he is now moaning.

"Mi... Mira..." Laxus slowly opens his eyes. The pale look on his face is soon mixed with disbelief. "Why have... you come...?"

Annoyed at his ingratitude, I throw him a sarcastic look while still desperately flapping my wings. "What, so you'd rather I'd stayed and got killed by that assassin?"

"..."

It's cute, to think that our faces are just inches away, and yet Laxus doesn't seem to be bothered my demonic look. In fact, he seems to be rather at peace...

I glide down to the surface of the cliff and land on the shallow stream around the waterfall. There, I lay Laxus' head on my lap, letting his upper and lower body to be half-submerged under the drifting water. My hand is on his cheek, and Laxus is staring up at me as he is panting and heaving his shoulders.

"How are you feeling?" I remove his hood and run my fingers through his spiky hair, treating it carefully with care.

"Better... thanks to you..." Laxus feigns me a smile which obviously implies that he hasn't adapted to my new look.

"Rest up, Laxus. I shall protect you and treat your wound in the mean time."

"Huh, pathetic," Laxus spits on the stream. "To think that the prey would be the one protecting the predator..."

I roll my eyes. "Don't be stubborn, now get some rest."

"Fine, but just a quick nap will do..."

"Good, and I promise to refrain myself from probing and unnecessary touchings while you're napping."

"Somehow I find that quite hard to believe..."

"Hehe, I promise not to." I smile at him and closes his eyes for him. "Happy napping, Laxus~"