Ch6-Two are better than one

Butterflies

Chapter 6

Nathan's POV

My mother shifted uncomfortably as I finished my story and my father was gripping his jeans.

"Alright." My father said. "We'll pay for him, but I want to see him."

I grinned and flung my arms around him. "Thank you so much!"

I led my parents to Hayden's room, and was happy to see him awake.

His eyes found mine and he shifted to pull down the breathing mask and reach for me. "N-n-Nathan."

I frowned at his breathing. He still couldn't catch his breath. Sweat soaked his skin and his face was red as if he had just ran a mile.

Walking over, I sat on the edge of his bed. "Hayden, don't be mad but, I broke the promise of not telling anyone and told my parents."

His eyes widened and he moved away from me. "Y-you p-p-prom-mised!"

I grabbed his hand and squeezed."My parents are paying for your bill and everything, I didn't want your parents to find out about the bill and only beat you more."

My mother walked to the other side of his bed and Hayden's eyes jerked to her. "We won't go to the police, after you get out of here, move in."

I didn't think he fully understood. He stared at the large hair clip in my mothers hair with a expensive butterfly attached to it.

"Monarch." Hayden whispered.

My mother smiled and pulled it from her hair, letting it fall down, and handed it to Hayden." Keep it as a healing charm, butterflies are magical like that."

Hayden looked to her in shock. "T-they a-are m-m-magical. T-thank you."

He clutched it to his chest as if it would suddenly cure him.

I touched his forehead to find him burning. My fingers were hitting the nurses button before I knew what I was doing. "You're burning up!"

Hayden curled into me. "I-I-Im tired o-of b-b-b-being in p-p-pain Nathan."

My heart hurt and I gripped him. "It won't be for long."

A nurse came running in the room with a tray. "Take these." She handed him small orange pills."

He huffed, out of breath. "I can't."

I gently put the mask back to his face. "Give me the pills."

I took my water bottle out and crushed the pills into dust before adding it to the water. Opening my backpack, I found a package of crystal light and added it before shaking it.

I gently handed the half filled bottle to Hayden. "Drink it."

Hayden climbed into my lap, to much in pain to be shy about his short gown. " I don't want to. I want to leave!"

Opening the bottle I took a small swig and swallowed. "It's fine see?"

Hayden gripped the butterfly clip and let me hold the bottle to his lips and hold a paper towel under his chin while he drank. Once it was gone, his fever was noticeably better.

The nurse, with my help, gently put him back into the bed. She pulled off his bandage to find It a bright red, but no longer filled with blood and puss. It was now closed with neat new stitches and I silently thanked the doctor.

She rubbed something on top of his shoulder. "I give him maybe a week or two. The outside skin may be healing, but his collar bone is what I'm worried about."