20. THE ATTEMPT [KARMA]

—The witches swore loyalty to Theon and borrowed him their power in times of need

[KARMA]

"I THINK WE'VE both waited long enough. Don't you?"

At the sound of Tyler's voice, I looked up again as if an invisible force had compelled me to, following the wooden steps to the top where I could see him silhouetted against the open doorway.

My body was frozen with fear.

The steps creaked under his weight as he made his way down and I gulped in shock. I didn't have to pinch myself to know this was really happening because the fear I felt seeping into my very soul was evidence enough.

If this were a movie, my chances of escaping would be greatly increased since I'd somehow be able to bust out some cool fighting moves, but the reality is I'm hilariously out of shape.

As he got closer to the bottom of the stairs, I could see him clearly from the light that shone through the door he'd left ajar at the top of the stairs.

"It's a good thing I was getting the place ready for company," He spoke, but it didn't sound like him.

The urge to scream was bubbling up but my throat was so parched, the only thing to escape was a dry squeak.

"Don't be scared," His voice softened and he was standing over me now, a large smile on his face, "I'll make sure you're comfortable."

I flinched when a flick of his wrist caused sharp claws to appear at the tips of his fingers which he used to rip the ties away like they were nothing but tissue paper. He then repeated the same process with the rope around my legs.

I was free to move now but I didn't dare to move. Something told me it would be a bad idea.

I resisted the urge to rub my wrists, instead clutching at my purse bag that was still strapped across my torso. If I could get in it when Tyler wasn't looking, maybe I could-

I was pulled out of my daze by Tyler getting me to my feet, my wobbly knees barely able to support my weight but I didn't have to struggle for long, as he had already thrown me over his shoulder like a burlap sack and started climbing the stairs.

My heart was thundering.
I must be in shock because I couldn't allow myself to move an inch. I could barely even breathe.

"You're being surprisingly cooperative," He spoke, "Not much fun, are you?"

As we exited the dingy basement, the bright lights of the house momentarily blinded me and I squinted, taking note of the room we had entered.

It was a small kitchen with minimal furniture that looked straight out of some old fashioned movie. There were still a few modern appliances as well if you counted the tiny fridge and microwave that barely looked functional with it's hanging door.