Chapter 13

I wake up with my head resting on Danny's chest. The sun peeks through the blinds. I stretch my arms up in the air, and yawn. Danny looks so cute, sleeping. His hand is on my thigh. I almost just want to lay back down, but I cant.

I swing my legs over the side of my bed. They touch the cold hard wood. I'm almost out of the room, but the house phone rings. I run down stairs to the kitchen.

"It's seven thirty on Saturday! This better be important!" I mumble.

"It's Jase." Riley panics. 

"Riley, calm down. What is going on?" I ask.

"Just come!" she shouts and hangs up the phone.

I run out of the house. No phone. Just pajama shorts and a black crop top. I sprint down the road, putting those seven years of track and cross country to use. I'm not even out of breath. I reach Riley's house, and she is sitting on the porch. Her head tucked between her knees, Which are tucked to her chest.

"Hey." I say adrenaline rushing.

"J-Jase." Riley stutters and sobs.

"Sh. What happened?" I ask.

"H-he c-crashed his c-car!" she sobs.

"Where is he?" I ask.

"T-the hospital." she cries.

I start to run towards the hospital, but Riley cries out, "Wait for me."

I stop running, and wait until she gets to me. Our feet fall into sync.

~

The nurse is walking Jase out to the lobby as we walk in.

I hear the nurse say, "You just sprained your ankle. You must have someone watching out for you."

Riley runs over to him. He gives her a big hug.

"I thought you were going to die," She sobs.

"I'm here, I'm fine," Jase kisses Riley's forehead.

I walk up to them, and they welcome me into the hug.

"I need to get home, Danny's probably worried sick," I say.

"Yeah," Jase agrees.

I sprint out the hospital door. I run past Riley's house, Caroline's, and finally get to my house. I swing open the door. Danny is hunched over the counter.

"Where did you go?" he asks.

"Jase got into a car accident, and Riley wanted me to come," I get out. Catching my breath.

"Oh, is he okay?" Danny asks.

"Yeah, The nurses said it was a miracle. He only sprained a ankle." I smile.

"Good," Danny sighs with relief.

Caroline comes over, and she brings Chinese take out. "So is Jase okay?" She asks.

"Yeah, he just sprained his ankle," I laugh.

She laughs too. I see fresh cuts on Caroline's wrists, and my laughter dies out. She sees me staring, and pulls her loose fitting burgundy sweater down. She misses her family. No matter how hard she tries to act okay; I know she is hurting.

"So how was mystery man?" I ask referring to her one night stand (The guy who was kissing her neck in the Snapchat she sent me).

"It wasn't Ty." she sighs.

"No one will ever make you feel the way Ty did, but he's gone." I sigh.

She gives me a sad smile.