Chapter 26

All night I tossed and turned trying think. About how much longer she could take it. How much longer I would have with my best friend.

When I woke up this morning I was sobbing. I had dreamt that she put a gun to her head, and pulled the trigger. Right in front of me.

~

Jase, Riley, and Avery came over, after I got a shower and dressed.

"Hey baby girl!" I giggle taking Avery out of Riley's hands.

I cradle, holding her close to my chest.

"So Caroline hasn't even attempted to see you guys?" I ask.

"No, but we understand," Riley sighs looking at Jase.

~

I reluctantly hand my goddaughter over to her mother. I love that little angle! I lean up against Danny. He wraps his arms around my waist, and kisses the top of my head.

"I love you," He whispers into my ear.

"I love you too," I turn around to kiss him.

"Sorry to interrupt but there is a baby present," Jase chuckles at his own joke.

Danny and I pull apart, and stare at each other.

"I'm never going to get used to that," He smiles and rubs his thumb over my cheek.

I blush a bright shade of crimson.

"Love birds," Riley snaps her fingers.

We turn and look at them.

"Huh?" He chime.

"We are going to leave in a second," Jase says.

"Okay," We chime a response.

They walk towards the door. I open it for them, and we wave our see you laters.

I close the door, and I walk over to the couch. I flop down; only to be picked up. Danny sits down and pulls me into his lap. I rest my cheek against his muscular chest. I let out a long sigh.

"What's wrong babe?" Danny asks brushing a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Caroline," I sigh.

"She'll be fine," He kisses my forehead.

I let out a longer sigh, "she is going to do something she can't undo," Danny searches my blue eyes with his.

He seems to figure out what I mean and let's out a sigh.

"I'm not going to force her to stay and suffer," I admit. Danny gives me a slow knowing nod.

Later that night...

"Hey sorry I have kinda been disconnected from you guys," Caroline says on our group call (Caroline, Riley, and me).

"You didn't even come see Avery!" Riley says.

I could tell by her tone she was getting pretty angry. She is more my friend then Caroline's. But she still cares.

"I'm sorry! I have my own life to deal with!" Caroline shouts into the phone.

I hear Avery crying in the background.

"Nice! You woke her up!" Riley shouts and hangs up.

"Just me and you!" Caroline laughs.

I roll my eyes.

"I gotta go," I sigh.

"Oh," I can almost hear Caroline's tears welling in her eyes.