Breaking The Bond

Entering the office, the Alpha walked to his office chair as I sat down in front of him.

He settled in his chair and gave me a look saying 'yes, start talking.'

However, as I opened my mouth the phone on his desk started ringing.

He raised a finger at me asking me to excuse him, at which I nodded.

He picked up the phone and started talking to a guy, from what I could hear it seemed to be some local official. Not to appear nosy I looked the other way taking my attention away from the phone call to somewhere else and my eyes fell on the bundle of cards lying on the table. I picked them up out of curiosity but not even a second later I wished I never had.

They were Invitation cards.

Wedding Invitation cards and for the last person that I could've imagined.
It was for Kyle.
Kyle, my mate who rejected me last night is marrying someone else. It isn't even twelve hours since he rejected me and the cards are already here... which means-
No, He didn't...
No...it cannot be. He just can't drop so low. But the cards and the name on them...

My whole body appears to have been paralyzed at this point. My heart stopped beating and it felt like I died at that very same moment. My mouth fell open and no expression came out on my face.

Is that why he rejected me? Is this the reason he is not concerned about the pack? His title.. Because he already has someone to replace me. I was disturbed from my thoughts by a low thud sound as the Alpha laid his phone down and my eyes rose to meet his.

He looked at me and the card in my hand. His once non-existent smile grew bigger.

"So you looked at them. Isn't that great?

Kyle found his mate a few days ago and it couldn't have gone smoother. She readily accepted him and even agreed to the marriage proposal. At first, I thought was it odd considering your generation these days likes to take time but... nonetheless, I am happy Kyle has matured enough to start taking his responsibilities seriously."

Oh, goddess, he has planned it all along right from the beginning. He knew we would-be mates, I mean almost everyone had an inkling. I am sure it must have come as a shock to them when Kyle found a girl to be his mate instead of me.

"In my defence, I told him that there's no need to be in a hurry I can still run the pack for a couple of years and he can take his time but they both were very intent on marrying as soon as possible." I looked at him with the same neutral expression and looked down at the card again to see the name of the one my mate is marrying.
Alia Lockwood.

Lockwood?? My eyes rose to him again as I whispered Lockwood.

He beamed at me "Yes, Lockwood. You know the alpha daughter of our neighbouring pack?"

The Ramon Lockwood is the Alpha of a small pack just like us. He is a good leader and I have met Alia a couple of times before and she appeared to be a sensible and nice person. I wonder why she is helping Kyle in his schemes. Why would she be lying about her mate? Or maybe she doesn't have one. I can imagine a couple of scenarios that could explain it but this is going too far.

I slowly put the card back on his desk as I tried my hardest to hold back the sob...

It would be better to get stabbed by a silver dagger than to witness this.
But then what else could I expect from someone like him. This has only confirmed my resolve for the pain is tearing me apart now. I already feel sick from inside and it won't be long before the effects start showing physically.

"I think it is good though for the future of our packs. The aid we are getting from the throne is getting low and combining the packs would help us both. Their pack is not big enough but the land they sit on is packed with resources." I nodded agreeing to his speculations. That is so much like him, thinking about the well being of the pack every minute of the day.