Chapter 3

“Oh my gosh! Maddie what are you doing here? I thought you weren’t coming to New York until the end of August.” I exclaimed, still in utter shock.

            “I know I was, but I had a break from shooting and I’ve spent all of my breaks in Pittsburg, so I thought to myself I should check up on my New Yorkers! Chloe’s in Puerto Rico until next week, right? So I guess it’s just you and me Kendall K!” She looked so excited and jumpy and immediately ran up to me giving me the biggest hug known to man.

“You know I still have classes, right? What are you going to do all day?” I asked her

“Already all planned out! Sleep and a little thing I like to call shopping! Don’t worry I can shop with you to! One can never buy to many clothes, especially when they’re in New York! Should I have called? I was thinking I should call but I thought it would be better as a surprise. Are you expecting company? I can get a hotel if you need me to. There’s a nice one a block away from here. What’s it called again?” Typical hyper Maddie kept spewing out more and more questions until I grabbed a hold of her shoulders.

“Maddie!” I shouted over her questioning, “Of course you can stay here! I missed my partner in crime!” she gave me a gigantic smile.

“Good. I’m glad I’m here to.”

“Well you must have subconsciously told me you were coming, because I didn’t make any plans tonight. My night was consisting of a bunch of random things I had to do, but I can set aside those until tomorrow. This is your first time in the big city since last summer. This is exciting stuff we have on our hands! What do you want to do?”

“Hmmm let’s see. You need to give me at least one night to be a complete tourist!” I sighed but then nodded in agreement. It wouldn’t be the New York experience without going to, at least, a few tourist attractions.

We started right away, taking a taxi to Time Square. It was around 4 o’ clock so we stood in line for discount Broadway tickets. The line wasn’t as long as it usually is when I’m down there, probably because it was the middle of the week. We both decided on Mamma Mia, a musical we grew up singing all the songs to while watching Meryl Strep and Amanda Seyfried dance on the flat screen.

“So where are we going next tour guide?” Maddie asked me, while waving at a camera that projected her onto a commercial poster.

“Toys R Us!” I exclaimed. She gave me a confused expression and I practically had to drag her into the toy store.

“Kendall why are we going into a little kid’s toy store? Why don’t we go shopping for big kid toys, like clothes? I saw an American Eagle outside! Let’s go there!” she told me, trying to pull me back towards the exit.

“Trust me on this Maddie! Chloe and me come here all the time! You’ll be pleasantly surprised, I promise!” Chloe and I came to Toys R Us about once a week, but not to buy teddy bears or puzzles. We always bought tickets to ride the gigantic Ferris Wheel. Each cart represented a different toy brand. Chloe and me both loved the Cabbage Patch cart and when we got it we thought we’d get good luck for the next week.

I bought Maddie and my tickets and we stood in the longest line ever. While we waited, Maddie told me all about her movie, which was coming out this summer.  

 “It’s about a group of friends from a Preforming Arts High School that all go their separate ways to follow their dreams, while communicating with each other through letters. Naturally, one’s a singer, one’s a dancer, and one’s an actress.” she spilled, obviously excited to tell me the entire plot of her new movie. Maddie was playing the competition to the dancing girl. Apparently they had a huge face-off over who get’s to be the lead dancer in an upcoming performance. Being a basic movie plot, Maddie looses, but when it comes to real life Maddie would win in a heartbeat.

“You can see the entire toy store from here!” Maddie exclaimed while at the top of the Ferris Wheel. We ended up in the Toy Story cart, which I was a little disappointed about. After all, I really needed some luck this week with the audition and all, but maybe it would only work with Chloe anyways.

We went to Bubba Gumps for dinner, before the show, but I could tell Maddie was too ecstatic to eat.  “I’m so excited for Mamma Mia!” squealed Maddie, who was playing with the calamari on her plate. “I haven’t seen a show on Broadway since Abby took us to see Newsies during senior year.”

“See, there’s an upside to living in New York! Chloe and I try to go to a show once a month. I think last month was Once and we’ve been dying to see Book of Mormon.”

“Oh wait until next time I visit! That’s been on my Broadway Bucket List since Brooke showed me the soundtrack!”

“Speaking of Brooke, how is she? I talk to Paige a lot but I haven’t spoken to Brooke since that Dance Moms reunion show they filmed a couple months ago.”

“Oh don’t worry about Brooke.” Maddie said with a sly smile.

“Spill! You know something Maddie Ziegler!” I exclaimed.

“I don’t know anything. But, if I did it would be super top secret information that she isn’t talking about that may or may not be about a top secret new Cirque show that hasn’t been announced yet.” She said super quickly in a hushed tone, follow by a wink of her right eye.

“Well, if I did know anything about any top secret Cirque show that Brooke may or may not be in I’d say, ‘Cheers to her!’” I announced, as Maddie and me lifted our glasses of lemonade and gently tapped them together, while erupting in giggles. I was so glad I had a friend in New York with me. The city’s just not the same unless you have a friend to share the sights with.    

When we went to see Mamma Mia it was hilarious. We mouthed all of the ABBA songs and squeezed each other when our favorite parts came up. Mine was ‘Dancing Queen’ and Maddie’s was ‘Mama Mia’.

After the show we wondered around Time Square, surrounded by bright lights and flashing signs.

“I can’t believe I have a chance to be up there!” I squealed in delight.

“I know! When’s your audition again?”

“Tomorrow! Hey, you should come! I could use all the moral support I can get.”

“I don’t know. I don’t want to psych you out or anything.” She said uneasily, but I wore her down.      

            “Come on!” I pleaded, “I’ll sing ‘Mama Mia’!” That seemed to give her a spark of energy.

            “Fine. But only if you’re singing ‘Mama Mia’!”

            We laughed all the way back to my apartment. When we entered my humble abode, we got into our PJs and went straight to bed. I would’ve stayed up, but Maddie said I needed my beauty rest if I were to be fabulous tomorrow, and walked right into Chloe’s room, shutting the door behind her. I was about to hop into bed when I remembered my to-do-list, which I had accomplished zero percent of. So, I pulled out my pale pink nail polish and redid my nails so they looked shiny and new. Perfect for a first impression.