Chapter 18

I drove up to a familiar old building in Pittsburg and immediately felt at home. The white walls that were chipping last time I saw them, were painted with a nice new coat. Walking into my old dance studio, I was greeted by Gianna, who was wearing an ALDC sweatshirt that matched the sweatpants I had on.

“Kendall! It’s so good to see you! Next time we bring the kids to a New York competition Chloe, you, and me all have to go out for lunch somewhere. How are you?” she asked me, rising from her chair behind the front desk. I gave her a gigantic hug over the counter. 

“I’ve been busy, but I’m so excited to be back!” Looking around, I noticed that nothing had really changed since I left for New York. It was almost as if the studio were frozen in time, just waiting for my return.

“Busy is always good! The other girls are in Studio A, I think you’re the last one.” Gianna said, peering through the door, leading to the dancer’s den.

“Thanks Gianna! I guess I’ll see you in there.” A whole week had gone by since my audition and I was paying Abby a visit, with the rest of my old dance team, to teach a master class. When I walked through the door of Studio A I was greeted with several hugs.

“Kendall!” everyone cheered. The whole team was there: Maddie, Chloe, Brooke, Paige and Nia. The only one missing was Mackenzie, but Maddie already told me last night that she’d be taking the master class along with the rest of the kids still at the studio. 

“Paigey! How did that audition for the TV show turn out?” I asked her.

“Didn’t get it, but there’s a cat food ad that they’re holding auditions for that I feel pretty confident about!” Paige announced, while crossing her fingers.

“You’ve never even had a cat Paige! They freak you out, remember?” Nia reminded everyone.

“Well then I’ll have to learn to love my feline friends!”

“And Nia, how’s UPenn?” I asked her, still trying to play catch up with everyone else’s lives.

“It’s amazing, such a beautiful campus!” Nia gushed.

“Guys we should start stretching! Abby’s going to enter the studio any minute with the other students!” Maddie exclaimed, wearing a worried expression.

“Relax Maddie! We can talk while we stretch.” Said Brooke, who leaned back into a back bend. I got down on my knees so Brooke and I were on the same level.

“So what’s this I hear about Cirque?” I asked her slyly, Maddie lightly elbowed me on the arm.

“Don’t worry Maddie it’s not much of a secret anymore. If you didn’t tell someone then Paige already did.” Paige started to blush.

“Sorry Brookie, but I had to tell the world that my sister was going to be a star!”

“Whatever. But, to answer your question, Kendall, the official announcement about the new show is going to be in a month or two. The producers are holding a huge gala, where some of the performers will show the guests a sneak peak.”

“Wow! How long have you been practicing?”

“For the past 6 months I would say. But you’ll love my outfit for the gala. So, it’s a grey sparkly floor length gown, but the secret is that the skirt can be taken off to reveal my costume for my contortion act I’ll be doing there. All of the other girls in the act have sparkly, long gowns to, but I think mine’s the best color.” I nodded in agreement. Brooke would look beautiful.

  “How’s Josh? I mean, since we’re all talking about how everyone is and everything” Chloe asked nervously. I gave a quick smile, but covered it up so her secret crush wasn’t exposed.