Chapter 30 - A Sneak-out

Chapter 30 – A Sneak-out

“Mom, I’m tired. I’m going to bed,” I announced. Heads turned to stare at me. It wasn’t even nine o’clock yet.

“Are you feeling sick, honey?” my dad asked, his concern clear on his face.

“No,” I faked a yawn. “I’m just really sleepy, but I feel fine. I probably won’t fall asleep immediately, but I’ll lie in bed and read or something.”

I looked around for my younger sister. Meg blinked her wide, brown eyes expectantly.

“When you come in, be quiet,” I said sternly. “Don’t disturb me.”

She shrugged and nodded. I hoped that she would listen; if she didn’t, there was a huge chance my plan would be blown.

“Great,” I thought. “My sneaking out successfully depends on a ten-year-old’s consideration for her older sister.”

It wasn’t a solid plan at all, but short of actually telling my parents that I needed to be out and about in the middle of the night and hoping – impossibly – that they’d grant me permission, it was all that I could come up with under such short notice.

I considered mentioning it to my dad, wondering if my guilt at lying to my parents would be worse than the possible consequences of missing the stake-out Kairo wanted to do - the reason that I had to sneak out. I decided that I wasn’t missing it and would go through with the lie. I was a legal adult – my parents wouldn’t punish me that much if I was caught, would they?

I pulled some PJs over my clothing and climbed into bed. I stuffed a few pillows in next to me, all the way down the blankets, so that it would look convincing if my parents checked in on me. It was a trick I’d seen a million times in movies, and I prayed that the natural trust my parents had for me would override closer inspection. My stomach churned as I thought about how badly I was betraying that trust.

I peeked under my bed and checked the recordings on my phone. Everything was in place. I turned off the light. I just had to wait until Meg came to the room. She was taking longer than I expected. I listened to the sounds of the house. The geyser hummed in the roof above me, the murmur of an argument from the TV. The familiar rhythms lulled me into a shallow sleep despite my intentions to stay alert. In fact, I didn’t even realise that I was dozing until I was suddenly woken by a harsh brightness as Meg turned on the light.

I gasped and shielded my eyes with my hands.

“Oh. Sorry, Maya! I forgot you were sleeping,” she whispered loudly, flicking the switch back off.

“It’s fine,” I replied sleepily, rubbing my eyes and pushing the thick duvet off me. “Close the door; I want to ask you a favour.”

She looked confused, but obeyed and sat on the edge of my bed.

“What is it, Maya?”

I knew why she was confused; I never asked her for anything nicely. Usually, I was yelling at her.

“I’m going to lock the door and leave the window open tonight. Will you leave it that way, please?”

She frowned,

“Why do you wanna do that?”

“I just don’t want Mom or Dad, or any of the others, coming in...And if you see anyone at the window, don’t be scared.”

“I’m gonna tell Mom that you’re doing something wrong!” she said, excited by the prospect. “You and Archer never get into trouble, but now you will!”

She took a deep breath to call our mom, but I clamped my hand over her mouth before she could.

“Please don’t! I’ll let you play with my cellphone any time you want and I’ll by you that set of horse books when I get my pay. Please, Meg?”

“I want the box set, and I give you back your phone when I want to. And I’m not lying if mom or dad asks where you are,” she bargained.

“Deal,” I said, shaking her hand. It was a risk, but at least I had some security now.

“Maya?”

“Yeah?”

“Did you get a secret boyfriend?”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head,

“If only it was that simple. I wish I had a secret boyfriend, but I don’t. Thanks, sister.”

***

An hour later, Meg was asleep and I climbed out the window, It was something I’d tried before when I was younger, but I still fitted through the gap in the bars and could still manage to the drop to the kitchen roof and then to the perimeter wall. I crouched on the wall to keep my balance. This was it. I was really sneaking out. There would be no turning back. I swung my legs down and dropped off, wincing at the impact to my ankles. It was too easy. I glanced at the house, to my parents’ room window. It was completely dark – so I was safe.

I walked down the silent street, avoiding the yellow glow of the lights. My heartbeat seemed to match the pace of my steps as I felt the thrill of getting away so successfully. The calm quiet helped me shove my guilt away. The effort would be worth it, I told myself.

Kairo waited for me at the corner of the street, his arms folded as he leaned against one of the street lights. He looked up as I approached, smiling.

“You got out alright then?” he asked.

“I did. Had to bribe Meg, but I think it worked.”

“Excellent. Let’s not waste the night – there are criminals to catch and this is when they work. I managed to get a tip-off from a police friend about which area they’re expected to target next.”

“And that’s where we’re going?”

“Exactly.”

He walked over to his motorcycle and handed me a helmet. I climbed on behind him and held on tight. The engine roared to life, alarming in the peaceful neighbourhood, and soon we were heading away.