Fix You- Family Ties

-Third POV-

Sam's eyes snapped open as a loud rattling came from downstairs. She got out of bed quickly, thinking it was Jeremy coming in late so she could tell him to quiet down before he woke Jenna and Elena. Sam opened her door and stepped toward the railing in front of her. There was no more noise.

"Hello?" Sam called. Another noise. "Jeremy?"

A shadow passed down over the stairs and she went down there to see if it really was Jeremy. Sam stepped in to the dark kitchen, looking around curiously for her brother or someone else.

"Hello?" she said again, flicking the light switch. It didn't work. Suddenly she heard the T.V. go on and she walked slowly toward it, seeing the reporter Logan Fell on the screen.

"This is Logan Fell coming to you live from the streets of Mystic Falls with breaking news of another deadly animal attack. The wild animal terrorizing the citizens of Mystic Falls has claimed another victim. Local high school student, Samantha Gilbert," he said as Sam's picture popped up on the screen. "Police are certain that forensic evidence will confirm that this is the same animal responsible for recent attacks."

She started breathing heavily, her eyes glued to the screen as she slowly backed away. Did he say Sam was the one killed by that animal? No, she couldn't have been. She was alive, she was right here!

"You know it's coming next," she heard a familiar voice say from behind her. 

She gasped and looked over her shoulder, seeing a smirking Damon standing in front of the back door. Sam made a run for it, running out of the kitchen and to the front door. She quickly opened it only to come face to face with Damon again. She screamed and slammed it shut, turning around to see him standing in the hall. How did he get there when he was just outside? Sam screamed again and pulled at her hair as she sank to the floor, panicking and waiting for him to kill her and just get it over with. However, when she looked up again, he was gone. She began walking forward, still panting out of fear. Her eyes went all over the place, looking for him in the shadows of the house. She screamed when she felt her head being pushed to the side and fangs sink in her neck.

Stefan's eyes snapped open and he gasped, snapping up in a sitting position on his bed as he awoke from his nightmare. Damon casually glanced over his shoulder at his little brother.

"Bad dream?" he asked. "Ah. Do you know how easy it was to get into your head just now?" He tasked. "You really need some human blood. It might even the playing field."

Stefan sat still, trying to gather himself and ignoring his brother.

"Football reference," Damon said when Stefan said nothing. "Too soon?"

Stefan got out of bed, angry, and sped over to the table and picked up a knife. He threw it at Damon, watching as it planted itself deep in his chest. Damon looked down at it boredly, like he expected it, before standing up and pulling it out.

"All right, I deserved that," he said. "But I just wanted to let you know, they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing Coach Tanner and all those people."

"What are you talking about?" Stefan asked.

"It was a mountain lion. Really big one," Damon explained as he used his hands to demonstrate- or exaggerate- how big the animal was. "It attacked a hunter this morning. It's all over the news. 'Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls'," he said dramatically.

"Why would you cover your tracks?" Stefan questioned.

Damon walked toward the window. "I've decided to stay a while. I'm just having way too much fun here with you and Elena. The most fun I'm having, though, is with that- again- adorable, yet sexy little sister of hers."