Chapter 12

"You. Did. What!?" Raul nearly shouted at her.

She gave him an icy look. After she hadn't been home to play Mario Kart with him, they'd set aside a day to eat at the diner, exactly one week later. For a while they talked casually, until he asked about where she had been, then she couldn't take it anymore, and she confessed her deadly sin.

He shook his head, bristling at her, "How could you do that, Kayla?"

She gasped, "Of all people, I was sure that at least you would be on my side." They'd had each other's backs for as long as she could remember, he had helped her get to where she is with Cody now!

"On your side." He snorted angrily, "The side of an idiot who's going to start a war, all because she can't go to prom with her little crush."

"It's not like that!" Kayla snapped. Raul winced a little at her sudden outburst, around them, customers glanced curiously. She could feel tears threatening to come out of her eyes. It had been a week since that night, she hadn't told a soul and she didn't know how to deal with it. She felt bad, because she knew that kissing Cody wasn't supposed to be some kind of deadly secret, and yet, it was. She hated that it was. At school, he ignored her and ate lunch with Amarie. She was so confused. How could he track her down, make her believe in the reality they could have had, and seem like he longed for it as much as she, only to give her the cold shoulder the next day? Especially after such a perfect, beautiful kiss? To top it all off, the Serius pack had been getting bolder, waltzing deeper into Pelisian's side of the valley. Her pack was quick to return the favor, tensions were high, but so far, fights hadn't broken out. Amazingly.

It still stressed her out.

Just then, the bell to the diner they sat in, rang. His scent infiltrated Kayla and Raul's nostrils almost immediately. They both turned to the door. Damian walked in, wearing a leather jacket, a t-shirt and dark jeans. He was alone.

He knew they were there too, he glanced at them and sat in the farthest possible spot away from his enemies. She hadn't seen him since he'd been annoying her with Kevin. Her and Raul turned to each other, forgetting their little argument in the presence of their nemesis.

"What do you think possessed him to come in here?" Raul muttered. The diner was nearly at the heart of Pelisian territory.

A waitress approached his table, twirling her hair in her hand flirtatiously, as she asked for his order. He flashed her a white smile, it was a rebellious looking grin, the waitress looked as if she could melt. It made the acid in Kayla's stomach turn over.

"Let's go", she grumbled. Humans were so cheap, falling and drooling over anything with a white smile and a little symmetry. Even for something as disgusting as the Serius heir. What did that waitress find so alluring about that radioactive green gaze? It was nothing but hazardous waste.

"No." Raul said with an intensity that made her freeze. He reached into his jacket and brought out a pretty little ring. Kayla gasped.

"No!"

He nodded stiffly, "I love Silvia." He informed, placing it back into his jacket, gently. "She's the one, Kayla. I know it and so does she. I've spent a lot of time with her since you started doing your own thing, and I'm going to propose to her. I won't tolerate anything that'll make me lose her, especially your selfishness."

Her mouth dropped, "My selfishness?"

"You're the heir, you have to do what you can for the pack's future."

She looked away. Raul was a changed person now, he'd found his mate, that girl would become his priority now, not the one he'd grown up. While Kayla would always have his loyalty, trust, and blood, she stood no chance against the love of his life. Part of her wanted to throw a tantrum, and yell at him for daring to pick a mate, but she really couldn't do that. It was against the laws of her species to do such a thing. When love was formed, it was meant to last forever, and celebrated greatly.