Chapter Four

*Taire’s POV* 

Eponine had stopped by the next day to drop off notes from Cosette, Courfeyrac,  Jehan, and Marius. 

“Taire, what happened last night?!” She threw the letters on his bed, where he lay, and had woken him up. Everything that happened last night was a blur. Enjolras, roses, pancakes, wine, kissing...but he still remembers everything, details and all. 

Then came watching The Hills Have Eyes. Normally, Enjolras has his tough front up. His eyes usually a light blue, when he’s being his usual self, but is it just me, or do his eyes turn a subtle shad of blue whenever he’s frightened, uneasy, or scared?

Is that even possible? Because it’s simply precious. When Enjolras is uneasy, he does that thing with his lips. A bite, a twitch, a pull, and another bite. Over and over again. When he’s nervous, he bites the tip of his pencil or pen, and scribbles all over tables. He almost got arrested for vandalism in Cafe Musain once, but the manager let him off easy because she has a thing for Enjy. I don’t like her, but she’s best friends with Musichetta. I can’t say anything bad about her.

“Taire, Taire?! Tell me what happened!” Eponine pulled the sheets off me, then turning away, seeing that I was nude. 

“Let me read the letters first...” I crawled out of bed, grabbing all four letters. She left the room with her hand covering her eyes. 

Cosette: Grantaire! You tell me what happened last night! Enjolras is here at Cafe  Musain, with his bags and a box of tissues. He won’t say a thing. Come. At. Once!

Courfeyrac: Should’ve invited me last night, man. Who’s gonna take in Enjy?

Jehan: Was it the flowers that gave it away? You put it in the vase right, and not his hair? How late did you two stay up last night? What time did he head home?

Marius: I’ve got another room at my apartment, it’s a bit overrun with junk, but if you haven’t got any room then I’d be glad to take him in. Cosette wouldn’t mind either, and Monsieur also has room. Cosette’s old room actually. Where are you? Why aren’t you responding to our calls and texts?

“What’s going on?”

“You tell me.”

I glance over to my right and see Enjolras’ clothes on the floor and contacts on the nightstand. His side of the bed was quickly, and sloppily made, my closet door opened and hangars on the floor. 

And then it hit me.

Oh no, no, no, no, no, no...” I ran to my closet to grab some piece of clothing, right when Eponine walked in with two cups of coffee. Covering her eyes, she scolded me for not doing that sooner. 

“Looks like you had more fun last night than I did.” Eponine blew a piece of hair out of her face, downing all the coffee at once. “Marius kept third wheeling me when he promised it would be a ‘Brother/Sister Bonding Day’. Brother/Sister...wow. How can it be brother/sister when he brings along his girlfriend?” she sighed. “It’ll always be Cosette over Eponine. ‘Eponine dear, could you bring me back a size two?’ ‘ponine, this and ‘ponine that. Even Marius began doing that. He’ll never notice me..”

Every word she said came in one ear and went out the other. Eponine constantly looks for someone to rant to about Marius, and I’m the only one left that hasn’t given her a fake excuse not to. She’ll talk about it anytime she gets the chance, even at times like this. 

“Eponine, not the time.”

“Right, Enjolras. I don’t have room for him. My parent’s refuse to take anyone that won’t pay. And he would never want to stay there. They’re Bonapartists.” she had a point. 

“What happened with him and his parents?” I slipped a belt on. Was it mine? No, it was Enjolras’...

“They found out you two had a thing, and that he was gay, so they threw him out.

This was all my fault. All, my fault. He shouldn’t of ever come here. Last night was still so amazing, so intimate, nothing could replicate the feeling of Enjolras’ presence as you sleep. Right by your side, so close you can hear him breathing. His chest moving up and down...

“I’ll take him in. He can stay with me,”-I really wanted him to stay here, to start a new life with me. “Are you sure about that?” she sounded uneasy. “Why wouldn’t I be?” sometimes Eponine could be so dearly annoying. She took the cups and rinsed them off in the kitchen, where she saw the dinner setup. I glanced over to the hall by the front, and saw Enjolras’ red coat still hanging on the doorknob. 

“Let’s go. Cosette keeps calling to check on you, and it’s really annoying. I mean I love her and everything but she can be so persistent...” Eponine dried her hands and gave me a pat on the back. I tied my shoes, grabbed the red coat and my car keys, ushering Eponine out the door, and lived in the memory of last night.