Chapter Thirteen

Catherine drove like a maniac, they were on their way to a potential crime scene. Cosette was bawling her poor eyes out, they all wondered how she wasn’t dehydrated. Enjolras laid her head on his chest, letting her get him soaked with tears. Taire was comforting Combeferre, who seemed to be in just utter shock, unable to process what was happening. 

“They’ll be alright, I know they will be. It’ll be okay, Marius and Eponine will take care of everything. Gavroche is the bravest kid I know, and Azelma is scrappy-she can handle anything that comes to her.” and then it hit Enjolras, Cosette’s one and only love was also being held hostage with an armed man. What if that was Taire? How would he be able to survive? He’d probably be just like Cosette.

To the left of them was Marius’ car, the phone dropped on the ground, the passenger side door left open. Eponine had dropped the phone and ran straight into apartment. 

Then suddenly Cosette stopped crying, she wasn’t even gasping for air. Her eyes looked focused but distraught. She sat up, and watched as the car pulled into the apartment’s parking lot. Catherine parked the car and began to say, “Okay, everyone stay completely qui-” 

She was interrupted by Cosette pulling a small handgun out of her belt and quickly jumping the edge. It was a truck, so not everyone could fit in the car. They sat in the bed of the truck, their eyes wide once they saw Cosette carried around a firearm with her everywhere she goes.

“Cosette, what are you doing?” Courf spoke to her softly, she pointed the gun at him. 

“Nobody follow me in, got it? I love you all.” she ran away from the truck, making her way up the two flights of stairs to get to Eponine’s apartment. Now that she was on the floor, she was completely silent. Peering through the window, she Eponine at the feet of a man. She was telling him she would do whatever he wanted, the man obviously not wanting anything but blood.

He kicked Eponine in the ribs, two distinct cracks. Cosette cringed, and told herself to wait for him to be in a more vulnerable position. But she could take it no longer-she tucked the last lock of her blonde hair into her bun and pulled her navy blue hood up. 

She kicked the door down-shouting, “Police! Drop the weapon!” pointing hers at the man. But then she realized it wasn’t a man, it was a woman. There were splatters of blood on the walls, and Eponine curled up against the wall at the loud sound of the door hitting the ground. 

“If you shoot, I shoot another another one. Drop the gun.” the woman had Gavroche in her arms, gun pointed to his head. Gavroche had his eyes closed, he looked so small, so vulnerable, like a child. Once he opened his eyes, he mouthed the words, “It’s okay, Cosette.” Cosette let out a cry of pain, but didn’t drop the weapon.

“Cosette,” a strangled voice came from the corner of the room. Marius was holding Azelma in his arms. She was shot in the lung, not able to breathe. The blood was not only filling up her lungs, but it was spilling all over the carpet. A pool of red mess soaked a quarter of the room, and Marius’ clothes. “drop the gun, please. Gav-do it for Gav.” she managed to get out. 

Cosette nodded and dropped the gun onto the floor.

“Kick it over.” the woman said.

Cosette did as she was told.

The woman let Gavroche go, and collapsed to the ground. Cosette ran to his side, making sure he was okay, telling him to go comfort his Azelma. He nodded and rushed to his sisters’ side. The woman now aimed the gun at Eponine who was curled up into a ball on the ground.

“She didn’t do anything, point it at me.” Cosette drew and X over her own chest. The woman chuckled a demonic laugh. 

“I don’t want you, Blondie.” 

“Then what do you want?” Now the gun was pointed at Cosette, “Can you tell me what you want? Please, let’s just try to be rational.” 

“Shut up or I shoot everyone, ending with you. Starting with this cutie over here,” she aimed the gun at Marius, who looked up into Cosette’s eyes. But the thing was, he didn’t look at her like it was the last time he would see her, he looked at her with eyes that urged her to keep going, for as long as it took the police to get here. He knew she could handle this, and she would be able to stall the situation a little longer.

“The police are coming, you aren’t going to last much longer.” said Eponine with what little strength she had left. The woman stormed over to her side, lifting her chin with the point of the gun. “No, no, be a good girl. Don’t speak.”

As soon as Cosette could not be seen, she pulled out her pocket knife and stabbed it into the woman’s back. The woman shot the gun, and it caught Eponine by the leg, who was now bleeding profusely.

The woman fell the the ground-Cosette grabbed her gun and turned it against her, putting her foot against her chest.

“The Thernardiers are scum.” the woman said. Cosette watched the light go out in her eyes, body go limp. 

“Cosette! Come here!” Marius shouted. Cosette rushed to Azelma’s side, tears filling her eyes.

“You did good, Cosette. You did good.” Azelma said, raising her hand to Cosette’s cheek. Before dropping dead onto Marius’ chest, she mouthed, “Avenge me.”