Chapter Eight

They didn’t take Enjolras’ bags out of the trunk, they knew he wouldn’t be moving back. 

Enjolras knocked quickly, definitely shaking, two inaudible knocks. He withdrew his fist, and tucked it back into his back pockets-until he realized these weren’t his usual pants, and they didn’t have any pockets. Panic-stricken-he let his clammy hands fall to his sides.

Taire, noticing his partner’s hands jittering, took his hand and knocked firmly three times. He agreed, Enjolras’ hands were extremely sweaty-but it was his hand all and all, and he wasn’t going to let it go now that he had it.

Soft, muffled voices came from behind the white oak door. Seeing a distorted eye move around the glass orb-peek hole. 

“It’s Enjolras and the Winecask!” obviously his mother.

“What? He’s here?”

“On the porch! The nerve of that kid, I’m telling you. No wonder he’s on probation, he just doesn’t know when to stop.”

“You’re on probation?” Enjolras nudged him in the side, Taire shaking his head no.

“I knew that rumor was true,”

“Enjolras is even holding hands with him, look at that.”

“What?! Let me see.”

A green eye filled the orb, then disappeared. 

“We can hear you, you know.” Taire spoke firmly. The whispering stopped. The gold handle twisted and clicked, and the white door swung open.

“Why don’t you come in for a cup of tea, dears?” Enjolras’ mothers words tried to come out sweet and inviting, instead it was bitterly spat out. She noticeably held her breath when Taire passed by, spraying her pocked perfume around the air he walked in.

The four of them sat around the coffee table in the living room. Enjolras’ parents always had classical music playing on the radio, now it was Handel’s Hornpipe from water Music. On top of that, the TV anchor was talking about the increased chances of rolling blackouts as Hurricane Kerry moved closer to the coast. 

Enjolras’ mother took quick, quiet sips of tea. His father barely touching his, along with everyone else. They were more like sips of annoyance, most likely because Taire hadn’t wiped his shoes on the doormat before walking in. 

“Mother, I’m going to get some water.” Enjolras excused himself from the table. To Taire, it seemed like he was gone for hours.

“Ma’am, Sir,” he realized he never knew Enjolras’ last name, “You may be asking why we’ve come here-”

“I know exactly why you’re here. You’re here to ask for my son’s hand in marriage. Doesn’t the man usually do that? Or ARE you the man in the-” “Sir please-” “You dare interrupt me?” “No, no sir. I mean no harm. I only-” “You only what?” 

Taire took a deep breath.

“I want you to accept your son for who he is.”

“A homosexual?”

“Um-”

“He isn’t ever allowed under this roof anymore.”

“He doesn’t want to be under this roof anymore,”

“You don’t know what my baby wants!” Enjolras’ mother shouted. “You think you know everything about my little Enjy. What’s best for my little Enjy! When you know nothing at all. You’re nothing but a drunk that lead my son into this, this, this homosexuality like it’s some sort of religion! You’ll lead my son into poverty and illiteracy!”

“Elaine, lower your voice-”

“Edward, you keep keep quiet. He’s my son!”

“That’s enough.” Enjolras was holding a pitcher of water in one hand, and a glass in the other.

“Come on, Taire,” he took him by the arm, “we’re leaving.”

“But I thought...”

“It’s okay. We don’t need it. I don’t need it. We aren’t ever going to get it anyways.” Enjolras lead him out the house and situated him back into the car. This time, the passenger seat. 

“I’ll be right back, don’t go anywhere now, you hear?” Enjolras winked and shut the door. 

Taire expected bad, but not that bad. Enjolras’ parents were strong Christians, well educated philosophers, as you can tell by their house, and not to mention former missionaries. He believed in nothing, and that truly disgusted them. There was no room for a gay son, and certainly no room for an atheist, gay, drunk, son-in-law. 

Elaine was Enjolras’ mother. She was a lawyer with a degree in biomedical science, so if she got bored of being in court, she could be a vet, pharmacist, or doctor. With her looks and height, she could be a Victoria’s Secret Angel. 

Edward was Enjolras’ father. he owns a chain business line that runs all over the world. Business man, petroleum engineer, and not to mention the State’s Top Ten Inspirational men of the year. He’s number three. If he were a politician, he’d get all the votes. An award winning smile, well dressed, a heartthrob for teen girls. And lastly, his last trait-cocky.

Taire wondered how Enjolras lived years with them. Cold-hearted, emotionless, beasts that were somehow perfect in this world’s society. Although, the only perfect thing that they have achieved in making, to Taire, was Enjolras.

Hours passed, the car was getting a little steamy, there was only a small crack in the window. He waited hours and hours for him, and the house was silent. Almost, too silent.