Chapter 18

As fifth period let out Jezzy sent a text to her friend.

-Hey Kaitie, sorry but I have to talk to a teacher about an assignment. Can I meet you at the mall in an hour?-

It was almost true. Sighing, Jezz walked at a snails pace to her locker. Knowing that she needed to get this little "talk" out of the way didn't stop her from dreading the awkward discussion that was about to take place.

Dropping her stuff at her locker, she kept one of her binders clutching it to her chest and then proceeded down the hall to Mr. Cooper's class. The door was open and he was marking papers at his desk. She stood there for a moment, not wanting to go in any further.

When he didn't look up, she closed the door behind her, the click made his head jerk up. His eyes met with hers and in one fluid movement he capped the lid on his pen and rose from his seat. Moving to the side of his desk he perched on the edge, his eyes gentle and the slightest hint of a smile crossed his face.

Still standing just inside the classroom, Jezz willed her legs to move forward. She stopped about three feet from his desk, hands tightening around her binder creating a barrier between her and Mr. Cooper.

After what felt like an eternity, Jezz shifted her weight to one foot and gave him a pointed stare. Daniel fidgeted with the pen in his hands before placing it on the desk behind him, his hands coming to rest on either side of him. "Umm, so I guess we should talk about what happened... I'm sorry... I've never found myself in this situation before." Daniel's voice was low and measured, his eyes studying her as he spoke.

"Yeah, well, that makes two of us, I guess." Jezz said under her breath. Shifting uncomfortably under his gaze, Jezzy felt the need put him at ease. "Look, I just want to make something clear, before you feel like you need to let me down easy... I'm not looking for anything to happen. This whole situation is messed up and not only would I not want anyone to risk their career for some fleeting relationship, but I have too much to lose, as well." Jezzy finished her little speech without leaving any pause for interruption. She thought it strange how her brain and mouth could both be in agreement and it still feel like a lie. Some part of her wished that he would say he didn't care and he would risk anything for her and rush forward sweeping her up into a sensual, heart stopping kiss, but that's not how real life works.

Daniel ran a hand through his short hair, messing it up as he did. The ruffled hair made him seem younger, in that moment. "You know, before school started," he began in a hushed voice, almost talking to himself, "I didn't really know anything about you. There was just this pretty girl, thoughtful, intelligent, maybe even a little intriguing. But that's it. I didn't know you. It's only now, that we've known each other as teacher and student, that I've really gotten to know you and the amazing person that you are. I'd be lying if I said that I probably care about you more than I should. But I can't allow that to change the situation..." Daniel struggled with the right words, even after thinking all afternoon... longer, all weekend he had thought about what to say.

Jezzy nodded, but before she spoke he wanted to offer her one more chance to drop his class, if that made this easier for her.

"Actually, I've already been to the guidance counselor." Jezz paused, while Daniel brow arched at the news. "I need all my course credits, if I'm going to be able to qualify for graduation and still have my second semester afternoons available to work. It's also too far in to the semester to transfer to something else. Soo... I guess we're stuck with each other."

"I see," Daniel pondered on that for a moment, did she really feel that uncomfortable in his class to make her transfer. "I'm sorry that's not going to work out for you."

Shrugging slightly, Jezz assured him, "It's not like I couldn't bare to face you, but I did think it was the easiest, if not the wisest thing to do. Although, I really do enjoy your class, so I'm not too disappointed I'm stuck with you," a little hint of a smirk slipped out as Jezzy spoke.

"Well, then I'm glad. It's been nice to have a student interested in learning. It'd be a shame to lose you." Daniel said with honesty, about not wanting her to drop his class, it was something he looked forward to.

Jezzy tried to push down the warm feeling in her stomach that seemed to grow as he spoke.

"Um, have you heard anything more about your mom?" Daniel asked switching the subject, that was the reason she confided in him before, not that he was trying to provoke a repeat of Friday's events.

"Yeah, uh, I spoke to my social worker about it. I said that I needed a little time, but that I would meet with her. You're right, I need to see how she is for myself, but I doubt it will change anything." Jezzy squeezed the binder she was still holding, maybe if she held on hard enough she could keep it together. She didn't understand why she always felt like falling apart around him. Normally she prided herself on being emotionally tough. She almost never cried before her mom went to rehab, it had been her life for so long, it was just normal.

Daniel nodded, it still apeared to be a sensitive topic, but she didn't break down. He wished there was more he could do for her, he was going to offer something, anything, he hadn't figured out what yet.

Jezzy jumped as her phone vibrated in her pocket. She forgot about Kaitie. "Um, I should go... I'm meeting a friend."

Daniel pushed off of his desk, bringing his hands up front then shoving them into his pockets. Jezzy was starting to notice that's what he did when he was nervous. "Right, yeah, you should go," he said walking her to his classroom door. Opening it with one hand, he let Jezzy slip out past him. "Thanks for meeting me."

Jezzy nodded and turned to leave, a couple steps later she turn back to Daniel as he continued to lean against his door. "Mr. Cooper?"

"Yeah?"

"Just so you know, if I had thought of you exactly the same as other teacher's, I doubt I would've opened up like I did. I already have a social worker, and counselor for that." Jezz turned and hurried to the front doors. Maybe she could still catch the next bus that came by the school.