Chapter 26

Jezzy bit her lip, taking in the view of Mr. Cooper laying in his bed. "I did offer," she shrugged, "and you do look pretty bad." A smirk played across her lips as her eyes trailed across his torso and back up to his face.

"Thanks," Daniel rolled his eyes, only to wince again at the movement, "you really know how to boost a guys ego."

"I brought soup," Jezzy said, changing the subject before her body decided to start blushing. "Did you want me to bring it up to you... or can you make it downstairs?"

"I'll come downstairs," he decides as he throws off the blankets.

Jezz inhales sharply and turns away, hoping he is fully dressed at least from the waist down. Daniel chuckles, "Don't worry, I won't scar you with my nudity. See all good." Daniel looks down and gestures to the pajama bottoms he's wearing, even though he still has no shirt on.

This time Jezzy does blush. "Shut up," she says, a smile on her face tempers her words as she turns to leave the room. Daniel, however, is weaker than he expected and wobbles once he gets to his feet. "Whoa... I think you should stay in bed," Jezzy says as she reaches out to steady him. Her hand comes in contact with his bare skin and Daniel leans heavily on her, his face brushing against her hair. Unsure of his own strength, and perhaps for another motive, Daniel and Jezzy remain unmoving taking in the others' scent and holding on for longer than necessary.

After a minute, Jezzy begins to guide him back to his bed. Daniel goes to say he can get up, she firmly places her hand on his shoulder, that alone is enough to keep him from getting up. "Stay," she says with surprising authority. Daniel submits and leans back into bed. "I'll bring up some soup. Is there anything else I can get you while I'm down there?" she asks, her tone gentler now that he has obeyed and resting comfortably. Daniel suggests a drink and something for his headache. Jezzy nods and heads back to the ktichen. She reheats the soup and finds a tray to load up with with both of their meals, Tylenol, and drinks.

When Jezzy returns to his bedroom, she rests the tray on the end of the bed. Removing her soup and water, she places them on the night table. Daniel watches quietly as she arranges things. Intent on her task, she doesn't notice his watchful gaze. Her hair was pulled into a side braid, but the walk over dislodged some of the strands of hair, which she delicately tucked behind her ear as she moved. Daniel reaches out and catches her by the wrist. Jezzy pauses and looks down at the smiling Daniel. "I just wanted to say thank you, again." Color fills his already flushed face, as he recalls already saying that, but not wanting to let go of her wrist.

She smiles at him, but the smile turns to a frown as the heat from his hand spreads to her skin. Extending her hand, she touches his forehead. "Daniel you're hot."

Knowing she is referring to his temperature, Daniel smirks at the double meaning. When she blushes and pulls away, he pulls her back in, until she is seated next to him on the bed. "You said my name."

His expression indiscernable, Jezzy panics. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have-"

"It was nice."

Jezzy closed her mouth mid-thought. She wasn't expecting that response.

"I didn't want to encourage you to call me by my first name, but the truth is," Daniel's face flushed, his voice hesitant, "you don't feel like my student. Even in class, I have to remind myself not to smile at you too long, or laugh at something you said... or.." Daniel started to mumble as he lost coherence.

Looking anxious, Jezzy bites her lip again. As nice as it is too hear, she worries it's only being caused by his fever. "How long have you had your fever?" she asks.

"Fever?" He stops mumbling to repeat her question. "Um, I don't know. I guess since last night."

"Do you have a thermometer? It feels pretty high." Still looking concerned, Jezzy grabs the Tylenol and water and hands it to him. "Here, take this. I'm going to get you a cool cloth for your forehead."

Daniel does as he's told and when Jezzy comes back she sits on the edge of the bed again and gently wipes his forehead with the cloth. Daniel sighs audibly as her hands touches his face.
"Jezzy."

"Yes?" she asks, resting her cloth on his forehead and letting her hand stray to his cheek.

"That's a nice name. Is it short for anything?" he asks in a soft, faraway voice.

Jezzy straightens up, pulling away slightly. Sensing her sudden tenseness, Daniel opens his eyes, tilting his head quizzically. "I prefer Jezzy, in fact in transferring here, I made sure my attendance records said Jezzy." Jezzy sighs, but continues, "It's Jezebel."

Daniel watches her for a moment before speaking. "Jezebel, it's nice. Beautiful even."

"I might like it if it didn't also make people think of some evil queen. I mean, who names their kid that?" Jezzy huffs as she thinks about all the times kids made fun of her.

Remembering the soup, Jezzy brings over Daniel's tray so he can eat. When she turns back, he touches her hand. Looking up she sees his deep blue eyes, comforting and warm. "You know," he says, "some might say that Jezebel was a strong, independent woman, who did what needed to be done for her people. In a time where women were often regarded as property, that's enough to earn her infamous title."

Shrugging, Jezzy says, "Yeah, I guess. But that's not how most people see it, at least in my experience."

"That's how I see it." Daniel hand now interlaces his fingers with hers. "That's how I see you, as well."