Chapter Thirteen - Incognito

My body flew backwards at the harsh blow from the laser which would have hit me square in the stomach if I had not been holding the mirror where it was. Luckily, this was one instance where Liam was wrong and the lasers' properties were similar to the common laser we have come to know and love. It bounced off of me and into the wall behind the robot.

"Holy hell, it worked!" I explained looking down at Liam. Liam grabbed my black, P. P. A. agent jumpsuit and pulled me down to the floor below the table as the robot began to recharge its laser for another hit.

"You could have been killed." He shouted over the charging sound of the laser, which was horrifically loud now. About every ten shots it would recharge its lasers. We heard the first initial charge before the attack which allowed us the warning that it was coming.

Liam looked around and found another large shard of mirror and grabbed it. It would have to act as a shield until we could either refract the beam back at the robot and escape... or die. Whichever came first.

"So what's the plan, doc?" I asked looking around for something else we could use as a weapon in case this wasn't the only thing trying to kill us.

"Um... I don't really have one." My jaw dropped at his words and I went pale. He quickly then continued, "But I do know we need to find Jinx. She could be hurt!"

I nodded my head as we peered above the table. With one last glance at one another, the robot shot and we raised the mirrors.

There was a bright green flash and an explosion from behind me as a vile of chemicals exploded from the heat.

Ouch, that hurt...

*

Ten Hours Earlier

*

It had already been forever since the guys had left. I had been trying incredibly hard to sit still on the steps of the armored car, standing at attention like many of the other guards who had been passing by. At one point I had even tried counting snowflakes. Finally, while fiddling with my radio and suit equipment, I had found a timer.

It had been ten minutes.

"Jesus, this is boring." I said to myself looking around. I had to give it to myself, though. I tried hard to follow instructions. I tried to be that obedient girl but it is really hard for me to try and be something I'm not.

There had been a group of men marching my way and it looked as if they were heading towards an open warehouse just around the corner from where the vehicles were parked. As they passed by I decided to get in step and follow behind them into the dark grey covering.

As we entered, one by one we scanned our badges at the entrance and then the men began to scatter to their various duties inside the warehouse. Once the doors closed behind us, two doors opened at the far end where men were dividing up and heading through. I stopped at the doors unsure of which to go through.