Chapter 1

Maya's POV

My friends and I have always believed that there is a defining moment in every persons life. Lucas had told us, when we had all gone to Texas in 8th grade that his had been falling off of Judy the sheep as a kid. We all however suspected that was false when he came up to us on one of the last days of senior year delivering the news "I just got off the phone with pappy Joe and he said that my dad has been diagnosed with cancer"
Riley spoke first "is there anything we can do?" He smiled sadly "I'm going to Texas to spend the summer with him. Maybe you guys can come keep me company? Keep my mind off it"
I smiled "I'm free all of July" Riley spoke next "im free all of June" we all looked to farkle not knowing what his answer would be. Riley, Lucas and I were going to NYU together. Farkle had been going to go but eventually he had been accepted to Princeton and none of us had wanted to hold him back. Farkle sighed "I will go back and forth as I can. I still have a lot of moving to do and meetings to attend." Lucas looked down shyly "right." We all knew from that look that he was hiding something but we didn't question him figuring he had enough to deal with. He continued "I appreciate it you guys thank you" we all three replied at same time "of course" I said "anytime" Riley said and Farkle said "that's what friends are for" an idea came to Riley and she voiced it to all of us "we have a week left in May after school right? Let's spend that week together before Maya after Farkle have to come home. It could be the last time we all get to do something like this together. " we all three readily agreed.