Linstead

Erin went to the doctor a week later. She wasn't sleeping, and when she did, she had nightmares. She was constantly tired, and always had headaches.

"Mrs. Halstead, your symptoms are pointing to insomnia, and the tests I'm running should verify this. So I'm going to prescribe medication for you. You can pick it up later on today." The doctor informed Erin.

"Thanks." Erin replied. Laying back down as the doctor left the room for a moment. She sighed and then closed her eyes.

Erin stood up and looked at the computer in the room. On the screen was an ultrasound photo. She finally figured out that it was a picture of a baby in a womb. When she looked at the name it said Halstead, Erin. And then the date for that day, Oct. 12, 2015.

Erin woke up and realized she was dreaming, that she wasn't pregnant. But it made her realize that she wants children. That she wants little Jay's or little Erin's running around.

The doctor came back into the room and gave her the slip of paper. She had to go pick up her medication later in the day. The doctor let her leave and so she went home.

"Hey babe. Where you been?" Jay questioned Erin.

"I was at the doctor." Erin answered the question.

"What? Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm insomniac."

"Oh. So what do you do for that?"

"Take meds, basics."

"Erin, why didn't you tell me you were going to the doctor? I would have went with you."

"No. Jay, I don't want you to worry about me."

"But that's all I ever do...is worry."

"No you don't Jay. You don't worry, you love and trust. I worry."

"That's okay. So how are you?" Jay asked.

"Good. But...." Erin paused.

"But what? Is there something wrong?" Jay asked worriedly.

"But I think I want to have kids."

"Oh..."

"It's okay, Jay. We don't have to." Erin stated, knowing from his reply he probably didn't want any.

"What? I want kids. Thousands of them. Okay, maybe not thousands, but like 2 or 3. But I do. I do want children." Jay informed Erin.

"Now?" Erin asked.

"I could have children anytime. All that matters is that they are with you." Jay proclaimed.

"Do you want to go and try and get pregnant, right now?" Erin quizzed.

"Only if you want to." Jay murmured.

He followed her into the bedroom.
_____________________________________

They tried for weeks and weeks at a time. But no luck. So they went to go take a fertility test and Jay was okay, but it wasn't all roses and sunshine for Erin. Apparently, Erin has an inhospitable environment, which means that it is so unlikely that they would conceive and if they did, the baby would most likely die.

"I guess we just give up." Erin sighed. "There's no point..."

"There is though!" Jay argued. "Just because we most likely not conceive doesn't mean we won't. We could have already conceived and not know yet...so don't give up. Don't."

"Jay...I can't. I don't want to. Not anymore. Let's just forget about it." Erin just finished their conversation with five words.

Erin and Jay wanted children, but only if they were both willing, and Erin wasn't. She had given up. She was done. But Jay wasn't. He tried to convince her. He would talk to her and argue with her weekly over the topic. But she still didn't budge.

Baby
Boy? Girl?
Light of world
Love it with heart
Protect it with your soul
Hold it with joy
Never give up
Boy? Girl?
Love

Jay wrote Erin a poem.

Not a good one, but one from his heart.

"I love you, Erin. I do. So don't ever give up. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen."
He told her that, and it made him sound wise, which at that moment, he was. And she finally decided she wouldn't give up.

And they still tried and tried but no luck. So they just kept trying.

They would never give up. They couldn't, because they always pick the short straw, they are always dealt the bad hand, but they always make it work. They don't want that anymore. They want it to work, they don't want to MAKE it work. So they won't give up.

One day, like they've said before, instead of being together, one day they would have a child, and that day would be the happiest day of their lives.

Thanks for reading. I know this one was a bit shorter than the rest but I wrote this one in a hurry. And I'm just publishing multiple ones at a time, so I wanted to get this done. Comment if they should have a child or not. New Linstead will be posted in a couple days. Thanks for reading.