Chapter 9

Krangresh the Demon was furious.

Insane rage drove him onwards, despite the damage his body had taken. He clenched his fists and screamed in frustration,the unearthly sound shattering the silence of the forest.

Yet again the shadows erupted with growls and howls, fangs bit and sliced swiftly, before the enemy melted back into the night. With a few uttered, guttural syllables and an outstretched palm, a nearby tree exploded into flames.

The light swept away the shadows, revealing dozens of wolves; eyes bright with reflected fire; hackles risen and ears folded flat; muzzles bloodied with shining fangs bared. The nearest wolf leapt as the rest scattered into the night. Two large paws hit the Demon's chest, causing him to stagger and trip over a fallen branch. The brave wolf began tearing at the face and neck of the fallen creature, before a single powerful hand closed around its furry throat.

A terrible yelp of fear and pain sounded as black flames swept from the fist. The shaggy fur around its throat burned as the grip tightened. Desperately the wolf fought to escape, howling piteously. Moments later the charred, lifeless animal was tossed into the bushes.

Krangresh roared triumphantly through tattered lips, before resuming his relentless march.

The wolf clan had hindered the Demon for hours, but at a terrible cost; eight brave wolves had lost their lives so far. The wounded Demon now limped southwest, stopping neither for food or rest. 

                                                                                            *

Lupin rode hard, crouching low in the saddle, trusting his horse's night-vision as they flew between the trees, before the forest thinned, then opened out onto sweeping grassland. Starlight lit the sleeping land, revealing the small city of Ness in the distance. He felt terrible leaving his brethren, but he needed to get ahead and warn the city. He hoped that the High Council had acted on Belthor's warnings, and that they might even have developed some sort of defence strategy.

The sun rose and a deep uneasiness settled on his shoulders as he crossed the cultivated farmlands; no ditches surrounded the crumbling walls; no pit-traps; nothing. There didn't even appear to be soldiers on the gates.

Sparks flew from his horse's iron shoes, as he clattered through the cobbled streets, startling the early risers. The city council square was almost deserted, apart from a couple of bored looking guards. Lupin leapt from the saddle and grabbed a small guard roughly, almost lifting him clear of the cobbles.

"Summon the Captain of the Guard," he almost roared, "the Lord, everyone!"

The small guardsman struggled, then drew a small silver whistle, which he blew till his face turned purple.

Lupin lowered the man, before he was cudgeled into unconsciousness and the darkness claimed him.

                                                                                                   *

Lupin came-to in the market square, his head and hands held securely in the tight wood of the stocks. Judging the height of the sun, he realised that he had been unconscious for an hour or more. Curious city-folk surrounded the platform along with a ring of guards.