Chapter 17

Belthor rode towards Ness.

It had been transformed into a city preparing for war; hundreds of craftsmen, soldiers and city folk worked tirelessly at the walls. Hastily shoring up the collapsed sections, digging a deep trench, lined with stout, wooden stakes, before the northern wall.

Samanthiel rode at his side, staring at everything in child-like wonder. She had told him on the journey that this was her first visit to a real city; never having left Ulfenspan in all her sixteen years.

Belthor was continually amazed by the girl; sometimes she seemed vulnerable and innocent, but the opposite was obvious when she trained with her sword. He had marveled at her skill with the blade, as she practiced her intricate sword-dances against imaginary enemies.

"You know," she said. "It's funny, but I miss the roar of the water. It's just too quiet on the land."

Belthor laughed, remembering the first time he had crossed the river Ulfen; the rushing waters, far below gave off massive energy that left him dizzy.

As they approached the northern gate they were met by Lord Ness. His red overcoat was replaced by a shining breastplate of silver-steel, and a pair of long, mail leggings. His purple cape was still tied at his shoulders, and his long braids were tied at the back, in a thick ponytail, which hung over a huge scabbard, tied across his back.

Belthor climbed down from his horse, saddle sore and stiffer than usual. Ness grabbed him in a tight hug, before gripping his long beard and kissing his cheeks.

"Danu be praised!" Ness exclaimed. "You have returned!"

"That is obvious, Ness."

"What news from the Council?" Ness asked.

Samanthiel sat quietly, as the old friends reunited.

"We are alone, cut-off from the east. The Ulfen flows uncrossed and uncrossable," Belthor said.

Ness's smile faded as fast as it had appeared, the colour draining from his face. "What?" he said in disbelief.

"Our old adversary, Riznar, now has his wish, Ness. Ulfenspan is no more."

A chill swept down Samanthiel's spine at Belthor's words; she would never see her home again.

Ness recoiled in horror, as he realised that the armies and mages of the east would not be coming to their aid.

Belthor nodded. "Samanthiel is the only volunteer from the east to cross and offer aid."

Ness turned to her and bowed low.

Samanthiel flushed with shame at her city's inaction, but leapt nimbly to the ground and shook his hand. "I would beg that both of you keep the lack of aid from the troops and people of Ness, for I fear a full-scale riot." Ness added, "Forgive my ill manners, my lady. My people, and I, thank you, Samanthiel."

"I would have sought these Demons, wherever they were, my Lord. But I am glad I have managed to see a real city, before I pass on to the afterlife, to be reunited with my family," she said.

Ness took a sharp intake of breath. "Belthor, I think that you had better come to the keep. Lupin needs your help."

                                                                                                     *