Chapter 2

Morning sunlight flooded the cave. Squinting, Jack stretched, thinking the previous day nothing but a terrible dream, until he completely opened his eyes. In the light he saw his bare arms were covered in scabs, cracked and sore, weeping clear fluid. Jack screamed and flames scorched the jagged cave wall.

He clenched his fists in fear.

The scabs flaked and cracked further, and to his horror he could see something strange underneath. With a terrible curiosity he studied the back of his hand, picking at the scabs with shaking fingers. One particularly crunchy, brown sore fell from his hand, revealing tiny glistening scales of the brightest green.

Jack sat bolt upright, suddenly realising that his entire body was scabbed over.

A wave of dizziness swept over him, and he had to take several deep breaths and grip the wall for support. He would have to go after Belthor and beg his mercy. He went into the dark of the cave and lifted a flat stone.

Below it the earth was soft and with a few moments digging, he uncovered a small chest. He retrieved a small silver key from a thin chain around his neck and unlocked the box. Inside was a stash of silver and gold coins. There was probably enough to keep him comfortably for the rest of his life; but being greedy, he always seemed to want - 'just one more purse.'

Jack wore a scarf around his face and wrapped himself tightly within his cloak and filled a small pouch with gold, before he buried the box again, then headed into the city. As he walked he was very self-conscious of the scabs on his legs and body crackling and flaking off. Luckily the itching passed quickly and now he had to go to the inn and buy some provisions.

Passing through the streets with his hood pulled tight and no bare skin showing, Jack tried to blend in as much as possible. He followed the back-alleys and narrow lanes to the rear of the Inn. This was where he had first sipped from the flask. He shuddered at his own stupidity. He tapped at the backdoor with his gloved hand, setting off a barking dog, and waited till George appeared at the upstairs window.

"Wotcha want at this ungodly hour?" he growled harshly.

Jack reached into his pouch and pulled out a piece of gold, and in an extravagant gesture he tossed it up to the man hanging out of the window. His huge fist snapped out and swiped the piece as it passed. His face lit up and eyes widened as he realised what he held.

"Oh! Forgive me, stranger, I do not usually rise so early in the day," he stumbled through an apology, disappearing inside, only to appear at the door moments later, wearing a pair of slippers and a well-worn nightshirt. "Come in stranger, come in please!" he beckoned Jack into the bar.

"George, it's me, Jack. Jack the Hawk!" he spoke through the muffling cloth.

"Jack, what on earth?" confusion etched his face. "What the hell's the get-up for?"

"Don't ask, George!" Jack dismissed.

George's eyes widened in fear. "No! Not the plague!" He blanched, backing off several steps.

"No, not the plague, George. I just need to leave the town unnoticed. I've got to avoid certain...people. But first I need some provisions for the journey. "

"Crow!" triumph lit the landlord's eyes. " You want to get away..."

Jack silenced him with two more gold coins, pressed into his sweaty palms. The Innkeep's eyes widened. He now held more than three months income in his hand.