Chapter 2

"Is that all you're taking?" Detective Shaw asked.

"Well I don't really need to bring much right?"

I had a duffel bag filled with clothes and a separate bag for toiletries.

"I guess you're right."

If I end up needed anything, I should be able to shop when I get there.

**********************************

I expected this, but I was really hoping he might have just been joking.

"How do you like it?" Detective Shaw asked.

"You're joking?" I asked.

We passed the sign that read Welcome to Acrima; on both sides of the road were vast acres of grass, and farm houses with barns, horses and cows.

"For a city girl like you, this might be a difficult adjustment."

"I've been living on my own for a long time, I know how to adjust." I whispered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, so where's my prison?"

He chuckled, turning left onto a dirt road leading up to a blue and white house. On the porch was a woman and a man, from what I could tell they seemed to be in their early 40s.

I stepped out of the car, and walked up to the two.

"Hi." I said.

"Hello, is this the young lady that will be staying with us?"

"Yes, this is Zara Milton."

"Nice to meet you." I said with a smile.

"They don't know that your a target, but they know you're a troubled girl. You're a new farm hand they hired, you can still attend the university near here but not Hughes. Their son goes there as well so you won't be completely alone." He said quietly to me.

The part about me being a troubled girl, had me wonder, what exactly did he tell them.

"Okay."

"Good luck, and goodbye, I'll check on you again later."

I got my bags from his car, waved goodbye and joined the couple at the door.

"Come in, our son will be home shortly, let me show you to your room."

I followed her upstairs to the guest room, that they had decorated to make it more girly. Purple walls, mahogany furniture, purple curtains and bed-sheets. If it was pink, I'd find it to be pretty childish but purple isn't bad.

"Did you guys do this for me?" I asked.

"Did we go overboard, we always wanted a daughter so we kind of did this selfishly."

"No, it's fine." I reassured her.

I walked over to the bed and placed my bags on it.

"Dinner will be done shortly, so you have time to unpack anything you have. By the way I'm Shirley Heath, and my husband is Greg."

I took out my clothes and placed them in drawers, and hung some on hangers in the closet. My toiletries I put on the dresser. That was everything I needed to unpack, so I decided to lay down and take in everything.