Chapter 23

A/N: Last chapter was pretty surprising right, but I think you'll like this chapter, so enjoy. Please vote and comment. :3

Zara's POV

For the past three days, I've been in denial, but now I see reality for what it is. I wish I was dreaming, but walking into River's room, I knew I wasn't.

Silence welcomed me, except for the beeping from the heart monitor. How a gang was able to provide medical assistant like this was beyond me, but I guess they can't just treat their members at the local hospital. The local hospital would be over an hour away.

IV tubes were connected to his arm, his complexion still as pale as it was yesterday, but he still appeared to be taking a nap. I walked over to the chair beside his bed, and sat down. They found him behind a tree bleeding out, and immediately tried to give him medical treatment before moving him. However, the bullet to his chest hit an artery, which caused massive blood loss. The bullet was also lodged inside, instead of passing through. Luckily it didn't hit his heart, a little further to the right and he'd have been dead.

It took the doctors eighteen hours to complete surgery, even during the surgery, they almost lost him. They said he won't make it past two weeks, maybe even less. For now he'll be in a comatose state.

I don't know what's worse, him being in a coma or him being in a coma because of me. Had I been more careful, or fought back harder I could have saved myself. I took River's hand in mine, bringing it to my forehead, and began to pray. Something I haven't done in a long time.

"I know I have denied you for years, but if you're listening, please let him wake up. Too many people have died because of me, and if I have to pay for my sins then I will. Let him live and take me instead, lord." I said, tears falling from my eyes.

"I don't think River would let that happen." Avery said.

I turned to look at him. Under his eyes were dark circles, showing lack of sleep, this situation seemed to take its toll on him as well.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Since you started praying." He looked over at River, a painful smile adorned his face. Then he looked back over to me.

"River wouldn't want you to do something foolish like trade places. He didn't have to save you, he wanted to save you."

"If only I hadn't left the room." I said looking at him, feeling an ache in my chest.

"That reminds me. Why were you in his room that night?" He asked, suspicion clear in his voice.

"It's not what you think at all, we were talking." I said.

"Dakota probably doesn't think so. Seems like he wouldn't even let her in."

"I know."

We fell silent. Then Avery ushered me out the room. I followed him, wondering where he was taking me. We walked downstairs, and out to the back of the house on the patio. He told me to sit down, so I did, and he sat next to me.

For awhile we said nothing, just enjoyed the cool breeze, and sunshine.

"You 'member how I told him not to hurt Dakota again?"

I think I remember him saying that our first night here.

"Yes."

"Well, he's gone and done exactly what I warned him not to do. He's not to blame, but that girl hasn't let go of him even after he left."