Chapter 13

Waking up, I realized one big problem to not being in civilization, I can't believe I didn't think about it. My hair, it had frizzed up, and was beyond nappy, this wasn't going to work. I walked over to the creek and washed out whatever dirt got into it, and struggled to braid my curls into two French braids. This will have to do for now.

Leaning back I kicked my feet in the water, enjoying the silence of the forest.

"Get up." That silence was now broken by River.

"I'm going to teach you what my grandfather taught me."

"You can't be serious?" I asked in shock.

"It's our safest bet right now, it isn't like we can do anything else."

"Why do you have to be right?" I complain.

"It's a gift, now come on, before it gets dark."

I guessed what our plan was, survive, until its time for the trial. But I don't know how good that plan is when the detective in charge of our case is dead, and there's a big chance that we may or may not be the suspects, so wouldn't it be better to find some way to get back to the city. Who knows if there will even be a trial anymore.

"Do you think there's a point?" I follow behind him, waiting for his reply.

"If you mean to what we're doing, then no I don't, but it beats sitting around."

"But if the mob thinks we're dead, doesn't that mean the police do too?"

"Well isn't that better for us then?" He turned to look at me as he asked that, then went back to walking.

"I'm not going to live in the woods for the rest of my life." I said in disbelief.

"At least you'll be alive."

"It's hiding, not being alive."

"Doesn't matter what you call it, running away, fleeing, hiding, not dying, its being alive, no matter how you put it." River turned around, and stormed up to me. "Would you rather we continue to be chased by the mob, to put more lives in danger, to destroy another family! Our lives aren't worth the lives of others." He shouted, saying the last part quietly.

"I understand more than anyone else, how insignificant my life is, but even so I want to live it my way."

"When you can do what I can then you can start talking about living life your way." River stated, turning around immediately and picking up his pace.

I hurried to catch up to him, not wanting to lose him. His eyes were so cold, lifeless, I wonder if I looked the same despite my words. We reached a clearing and River handed me his makeshift bow.

"Go on, lift it."

I sighed lifting the bow, he came over to help me, but when his hand touched my side I jumped. He chuckled but placed his hand on my side again, and rested his other hand on top of my hand holding the bow.

"Don't be so tense, have this hand pull back on the string with the arrow," he said guiding my hands, "and keep the other one gripping the bow tightly."

Steadying my hand, he whispered, "now, let go."

I did and the arrow went flying into the tree across from us.

"Not bad, now try it on your own."

Ten minuted later I had shot the arrow into the same place five times out of ten. The other five times I completely missed the tree. After practicing more with shooting arrows, he then taught me how to fish, and make a fire, but the hunting he wanted to wait for. Doing all that made me so tired, that when we got back to our clearing, I took a nap.