Chapter 5

"Where do you think you're going?" River asked from behind me as I packed all I brought with me.

I ignored him. I heard him come up to me, and he grabbed my hands.

"Are you really trying to run from this?" His eyes were red from crying, but he was glaring daggers at me. I didn't answer him.

"Now you can't speak, huh. Fine, I'll do the talking. My parents are dead for reasons I don't know, and the one who seems to know why is trying to run away. So who the hell killed my parents?" He asked.

I stayed silent. He backed me up against the wall, and forced me to look into his eyes. Behind his eyes I saw sadness, and it pained me to see that, knowing I was the one who caused it.

"Zara, please." He begged, looking broken.

I wanted to cry, but knew I didn't have the right to cry.

"The Russian mob." I said silently.

He let go of my hands, stepping back in shock.

"I saw one of them commit a crime, and he saw my face, so I had to leave the city to come here. I didn't know they'd find me so fast, and I didn't know they would kill your parents, I'm so sorry River."

He still looked shocked, then he turned and punched the wall.

"We should have never took you in." He said walking out the room. I fell to my knees and started crying. The tears flowed down my face until there was nothing left.

I finished packing, and left the room to see the detective still in the living room.

"I'll be back to get you tomorrow to relocate you elsewhere. River as well, because they know who he is." Shaw walked towards me placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry Zara, here's my number. I will call you guys later and tell you where we will be heading." He said hanging me a piece of paper and looking over to my left, which I assumed where River was standing.

He left the house, then I heard his engine start as he drove away. I wasn't going to wait for him, I was going to do what I should have done from the beginning, protect myself. I couldn't fight the mob, but I could run from them, until Shaw got the court date in order. No other families were going to be broken up because of me.

"You're not leaving." River said.

I don't know whether it was because of exhaustion, or my pent up emotions, but I snapped.

"For goodness sake River make up your mind. You don't want me here, you don't want me to leave, which is it? I'm sorry about your parents okay, but I'm not going to be taken to another family, only for them to end up dying as well." I said breathing heavily.

He walked up to me, and gave me a hug.