Chapter 20

"I'm not his girlfriend. Not anymore." Dakota said glaring venomously at River. "You left this gang."

She took a step towards River, jabbing him in the chest.

"You left us."

Another jab.

"You left me." Dakota said sounding in pain.

"You know why I left." River responded, stepping back from Dakota. The sadness in her face only intensified, as he distanced himself from her.

I felt like I was witnessing a soap opera play out in front of me.

"So why you back? And who is this pretty girl here?" Avery asked walking towards me.

"I wouldn't have came here without good reason." River walked back to me. "Can we continue this discussion inside?"

Dakota glared at me, confusing me, because I didn't do anything to her. She then looked at Avery, letting out a sigh, she escorted us inside.

"So your ex, not just an old friend?" I asked nonchalantly, or tried.

"Yes."

"Is that all you're gonna give me?"

"Yes."

What is with him, he's clamming up again.

I walked ahead of him and he stayed behind me. We walked through the foyer with a beautiful glass chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Then we passed by the living room where several men sat, some playing cards, others were watching the TV, but all of them had a gun strapped to their side. The walls were a pretty navy blue, and we passed by several mahogany doors before coming to a double door. Dakota opened it and we stepped into an office.

It had a high ceiling, and a book case lined one wall. In the center by the ceiling to floor window was a desk, where Dakota sat, and pointed to the other chairs placed in front of her.

"Talk."

We sat down, then River started talking.

"This girl here, saw the second in command of the Russian mob commit a murder. Under witness protection she came to my house, by some shitty fate the mob killed my parents. Originally she was meant to testify against the guy, but lack of evidence meant it wasn't happening soon enough. One disaster after another, I decided we should come here and get your help, since a guy in the mob wouldn't stay behind bars for long." River summarized our few weeks together into one paragraph.

It feels like its been months, but it hasn't. All that we've been through happened so fast.

"So can you help us?" I asked.

I was still doubtful she could help. The best I can come up with is we go to the mob's headquarters with our guns and have a shootout. To me that sounds like a suicide mission.

"The Russian mob, how'd you get involved with them?" Avery asked letting out a low whistle.

I turned to him without an emotion in my face.

"I went to the mall."

Avery started to laugh.

"I'm being completely serious."

"You must have the devil's luck." He said chuckling.

"Don't I know it." I mumbled leaning back my head.

"I get the situation, but what do you want me to do River. Fight the mob?"

"Well it would only be the one man."