Chapter 21

A/N: Sorry for the long wait, I got caught up in getting ready for school and stuff. Here's the chapter, it's a bit short, but I will upload the next one as soon as I can. Please enjoy, vote and comment as well, thank you!! :3

River hadn't forgotten about our earlier deal, so he would explain more, but in return I'd have to tell him more about me.

"Dakota and I dated back in high school, but when her parents sent her away without any warning, we didn't get to break up. I ain't never been able to talk to her, until she called me up a few years back to join her gang, and while in the gang we dated again. But I ain't last long in the gang."

"Why's that?"

"You know a bit of what a gang does right?"

I nodded my head. He grabbed me by the neck without me seeing his hand move.

"If I wanted to, I could snap your neck easily."

I started to hyperventilate, seeing flashbacks of my past I rather not. I looked around frantically, scared beyond belief. River instantly let go.

"Zara calm down." he said cupping his hands on my face.

I relaxed, looking down to avoid his eyes. Glancing up at him, I could see how much my reaction hurt him.

"Sorry for scaring you."

"No, it wasn't your fault, I-" I bit my lip. I couldn't explain my reaction without explaining the reason behind it. "I'm not scared of you, I just didn't expect that."

He didn't seem to buy it, but he continued anyways.

"I couldn't get used to it. The constant looking over my shoulder, the things I had to do, the things I saw. Not something I could forget, but I sure as hell ran without a second thought."

"Did you never tell Dakota why?" I asked. My face didn't show the fear that had taken over me, moments ago, but my hands wouldn't stop shaking. I put them behind my back to hide from River's view. He noticed, but didn't say anything.

"Didn't think she needed to know I left her in this life alone, because I was too chicken to live in it."

"If you explain it to her, she'll understand."

"It won't change a thing. I left, and ain't look back. We can't return to how it was before, even if I wanted to."

"But-"

"Leave it alone." He said.

I went silent, after a couple seconds he asked about how I reacted.

"It was unexpected."

"You seemed scared of me, even if you ain't expect it, you wouldn't have thought you was in real danger."

I took deep breaths, trying not to hyperventilate. I should tell him, he won't judge, or insult me. But what if I tell him and he hates me, thinks I'm crazy. I struggled with the decision, until finally I made a plan.

"Let me tell you the story of a sad family."

He looked at me in confusion.

"It's a short story, but I want to share it with you first."